Turkenstein25's Turkey Talk for 2015

This has just not been a good hatching year at all. Last yr I had 3 hens hatching eggs. 2 shared a nest n no problem. This yr I've 5 hens. They can't make up their minds which nest they want to sit on! 2 batches of eggs were totally ruined thus way. Right now there are 3 nests & 4 broodies. 1 other hen lays eggs but hasn't gone broody. So far I only have 6 poults. 4 or 5 were crushed while hatching. I'll never have this many hens in one house again.

Still 15...one drowned...changed the waterer,,,further tragedy averted, and one of the last ones to hatch was just too little and weak...and my blue frizzle is going for a second hatch, since She lost 11 babies to a cat...

Still 15...one drowned...changed the waterer,,,further tragedy averted, and one of the last ones to hatch was just too little and weak...and my blue frizzle is going for a second hatch, since She lost 11 babies to a cat...
They are getting so big! :) Sorry you lost one.
hugs.gif
I hope your blue frizzle has a great hatch and the cat stay's way this time.
fl.gif

They are getting so big! :) Sorry you lost one. :hugs  I hope your blue frizzle has a great hatch and the cat stay's way this time. :fl

Thank you! Her first hatch was 14 beautiful chickies! She has 2 pullets that are frizzles like her...the offending cat was sent over the rainbow bridge so that won't be an issue this time! It was caught "red handed" so to speak squirming out of their run with a chick in it's mouth! Miss Dixie and her roo Romeo make great parents!

The blue frizzle is one of theirs that I hatched in the EHAL...I'm hoping it's a pullet but that comb is so red! She is blue/black with red lacing on the tips of the feathers! (At least I hope it's a she!)

Your birds are so pretty. Good thing you won't have to worry about the cat any more. Look at the neck and saddle feathers, if they are pointed then you will know it's a cockerel. If they are round then you will know you have a pullet. :)

That's the thing...it is so curly you can't hardly tell if it has saddle feathers...it seems like all the feathers are rounded on the ends though...the other roos in the same batch, are straight feathered and very much roo like, and were extremely slow to feather...this one has been fluffy from the get go!

What about the hackle feathers around the neck? If they are round then you know. Pick the bird up and get it used to being handled. That will make it easier for you later on. :)

I have been picking them up...their mother is wicked mean! I got her at about 16 weeks old and she hadn't been handled...she's so mean, she's not allowed to free range...she's the one that has gone broody again...I'm hoping for a hen her color so I can rehome her...

Back
Top Bottom