Turkenstein25's Turkey Talk for 2015

I would say 7 to 10 for for up to a week old. Trade would be a good option. Toms around here go for 30 to 35. Hens are 35 to 50. If you want to sell some sell earlyoso your input costs are less.

The way it worked out for you was awesome. Strayed hen and 17 babies. No matter which way you decide to go. Your way ahead in the game.

Totally cool

I would say 7 to 10 for for up to a week old. Trade would be a good option. Toms around here go for 30 to 35. Hens are 35 to 50. If you want to sell some sell earlyoso your input costs are less.

The way it worked out for you was awesome. Strayed hen and 17 babies. No matter which way you decide to go. Your way ahead in the game.

Totally cool

Thanks
1f609.png

I figure I can turn the money over into more food for the rest, and Godiva will have an easier time with 10 poults...

Keep a hen or two, a Tom or two for the freezer, trade for a Tom, and sell the rest...maybe gift 1 or 2...

Maybe roast a couple around the holidays and go with my church group to feed the homeless ... To make good use of my blessings... maybe more than a couple...

The possibilities are endless...

Totally possible eggs are still fertile. It only takes on successful mating to make eggs fertile for an entire season.

Wouldn't know what to charge per egg for eating.

I like to eat any I don't incubate myself. Bigger and better than a chicken egg.

Totally possible eggs are still fertile. It only takes on successful mating to make eggs fertile for an entire season.

Wouldn't know what to charge per egg for eating.

I like to eat any I don't incubate myself. Bigger and better than a chicken egg.

Well...cool! Learn something New everyday! You would think the 17 she has would have turned off the baby making machines! Lol

I should have named her Myrtle! Lmao!

One of my slate hens started laying within 5 days of the batch she just hatched.

I was told by an acquaintance of mine. That he had had a hen set and hatch 3 batches in a season.

Usually as you get later in the season the number of eggs it takes for a hen to go broody gets less.

With the number of babies godiva has now I don't think I would let her set another round just yet.

Hi we have 4 2 royals and 2 blue slate...how long before we know if we have hens or toms?
:welcome

Welcome to turkeys if they are your first.

Watch them ad they grow. Males will grow body wise faster than hen. Have a larger snood. Males could possibly strut by 3 to 4 weeks old. But bothwill display when young.

If you look at their head from above a hens head will look triangular. Whileca toms head willn look more blocky. As they lose feathers a toms head will be bald. A hen could have the tell tale mohawk. Feathers going up neck to top of head.

You will know for sure by about 4 months old.

Turkeys are blast enjoy them.

Well, we received our poults today. All fifteen were happy and healthy when they arrived, but I think I've spoken too soon.

One poult nearly drowned in the waterer, and we spent the next two hours emptying the water out of its lungs. It has since recovered, and as a precaution I have filled the water dish with marbles to prevent it from recurring.

After we finished dealing with aforementioned poult, another one was flipped over onto its back in the center of the run. The only way I could help it was by lifting up their run, so I did and managed to flip it back over. But, when I reached in, the fourteen other poults came rushing at me. I hastily pushed them away so that I could lower the run, but being the clumsy stupid oaf I am, I lowered the run and accidentally broke one's neck. I feel like absolute crap and can hardly bear to look at them now.

They also won't eat. They'll drink, but won't touch their food. I've tried shiny coins, food dye, even tossed a Favorelle in who would show them how to eat. They were more interested in her beard feathers.

I went out to check them a few minutes ago, and noticed that within a span of fifteen minutes three of them have their beaks covered in blood! One is missing their egg tooth; the other two are bleeding by their nostrils. I have no idea what is going on; they are safe and secure from any other birds.

Murphy's Law is in full swing here!!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Try placing some food on a piece of aluminum foil.

Keep an eye on the flip poult can take a few days before they could get strong enough to right themselves.

Have no idea on bleeding.

Good luck with them..

Back
Top Bottom