Turkey feed Q

Update:

Picked up only chicken chicks today. None of their turkey eggs hatched (their first hatch of the year for most of their breeds, so I have 6 Bourbon Red on order to pick up in a month.

But, I now have 6 Barred Rock, 6 EE, and 4 Speckled Sussex chicks.

Looking forward to getting poults!

I have brooded them together which is why I recommend brooding them separately. If I happen to have a chick hatched at the same time poults hatch, I will still stick it in the same brooder with them.

You do what you have to do with the resources you have. Poults seem to be the easiest to to imprint. I go out of my way to avoid imprinting them. If you brood them in the house you are going to have a tough time not imprinting them. They are naturals at grabbing onto your heart.

I have never used a heat plate for poults. I use a GQF brooder heater. I can't remember who does use one. maybe @aliciaplus3 or @Bantambird knows.
I use the metal brooder i think mine is a different brand but similar?

My baby brooder is an old is an old Sears catalog farmall from 1944 that my dad nabbed from the back of the neighbor's barn during a big clean out. It was nearly untouched. the only missing piece is the wire flooring in the brooding chamber so I put down towels on the droppings pan and change it every other day. I had to replace the heat plate in the back because mice had eaten the old one and because the plug type was so old as to not fit modern plug sockets.
I love this brooder. I don't used the lower levels as much because they don't have heat. I use the bottom one as a sick bay.

Back
Top Bottom