Turkey hanging time & processing help

P-heasant

Chirping
Aug 18, 2022
Hello,

The time has come to do the deed with our turkeys.
What would be the best way to process.

By knife or by broom? We intend on doing it on Friday to let hang for a week before Xmas but are unsure if by knife will mean bacteria and the bird going bad.

Do we hang whilst it has not been eviscerated or do that on the day and then hang?

If it doesn’t get eviscerated until a later date, when would be the best day for XMAS?

We will be hanging them in a basement so there are not vermin or flies etc.

Can anyone advise best or point us to a more detailed step by step plan which will yield the best results .
Thanks

Hello,

The time has come to do the deed with our turkeys.
What would be the best way to process.

By knife or by broom? We intend on doing it on Friday to let hang for a week before Xmas but are unsure if by knife will mean bacteria and the bird going bad.

Do we hang whilst it has not been eviscerated or do that on the day and then hang?

If it doesn’t get eviscerated until a later date, when would be the best day for XMAS?

We will be hanging them in a basement so there are not vermin or flies etc.

Can anyone advise best or point us to a more detailed step by step plan which will yield the best results .
Thanks
What variety of turkeys? Heritage, or Broad Breasted(s)?

We kill ours with a shot in the head with a .22, then cut the heads off to finish bleeding.

Great article, very informative although hanging turkey after being eviscerated/dressed even in an enclosed room just doesn’t sit well with me. Unless someone gives me the go ahead aha.
How cold is the room?
I keep dressed birds in coolers on ice.
I have kept unplucked guts intact birds in refrigerator until rigor mortis has passed.

I personally would eviscerate and then cool the bird, cos the instant the bird is dead, the gut starts decomposing, and I tell you, you don’t want, what is in the gut, tainting the meat!

So i left it down to my in-laws and they have left the guts in and have hung them rather bad in an old fridge (switched off) it’s not finished being plucked of the pins and will get eviscerated but the blood from the necks has got on the body.

Will eviscerate tomorrow and has been two days now.

But I have a feeling they will be no good now? Can we share opinions

Attachments

• BBAA0DCE-7FDF-497C-A089-E173DEC6D8A7.jpeg
    BBAA0DCE-7FDF-497C-A089-E173DEC6D8A7.jpeg
    527.3 KB · Views: 4
So i left it down to my in-laws and they have left the guts in and have hung them rather bad in an old fridge (switched off) it’s not finished being plucked of the pins and will get eviscerated but the blood from the necks has got on the body.

Will eviscerate tomorrow and has been two days now.

But I have a feeling they will be no good now? Can we share opinions
I would not have a problem if they are on ice or cold. I would brine for a while before cooking to pull the blood out.

Back
Top Bottom