Turkey Talk for 2014

I'm still doing research about getting turkeys. What do I need to know about black head?
I free range chickens, and I was planning on free ranging the turkeys too, once they're old enough (about 2 months old, I take it). What do you all do?
Please, any advice, experience, stories, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!!
Black head is a local disease; contact the local authorities like your local extension for correct info. Not all areas have this.

Turkeys like to sit on my car, and have scratched it , pecked it and roosted on it. THey like to watch me work with one eye up close. ANd the boys strut and parade to impress me.

I could not process the first birds I hatched-- I was too in love with them. THe next generation went into the freezer.

THis might help: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/winter_care_of_turkeys/

I put my birds in when cold rain is expected; otherwise many roost up high; if not high enough we move them to safer quarters for the night. They love to travel around. THe youngester that I cooped up have not done as well as those that freerange.

Since it is turkey time . . .

Two birds went to processor on Sunday. One at 15#, a New Holland male that had impressive growth; and a cross bred hen at #10. SOld to the same customer at about $5/pound.

Eating at SIL on THursday and she is serving TUrducken. I"m not sure what to think. SOmehow this is just WRONG. lol

We eat turkey year round. Not just at the holidays anymore.

Chickadoodles--- hope you have a pan large enough!!! A 35#er is the largest I've roasted and it required a new supersize roasting pan AND foil extensions to make the pan bigger. lol Hope you post pics of this beast.

Yes, it is getting as bad as the chickens, where I have to keep track of them on a computer spreadsheet to even know how many I have
hide.gif

They are expensive to keep here because no free range and I feed only certified organic...those Thanksgiving toms were eating a lot! But I enjoy them
love.gif

How could anyone not enjoy turkeys?

They are costly but well worth it. If I had to chose between the chickens and the turkeys, the chickens would lose.

I have 9 but only 4 our hens. So one tom has to go. I have been trying to decide which one. I want to keep the birds in pairs next spring so I know what the poults are, and who their parents are.

Turkey math is worse than chicken math. I started with 3 turkeys just for fun in April. They quickly became 10 turkeys then 15,,,,5 guineas then 15...4 chickens then 8 then a 145......

Turkey math is terrible! I had to buy two extra freezers because of the turkeys too!

How could anyone not enjoy turkeys?

They are costly but well worth it. If I had to chose between the chickens and the turkeys, the chickens would lose.

I have 9 but only 4 our hens. So one tom has to go. I have been trying to decide which one. I want to keep the birds in pairs next spring so I know what the poults are, and who their parents are.

Turkey math is worse than chicken math. I started with 3 turkeys just for fun in April. They quickly became 10 turkeys then 15,,,,5 guineas then 15...4 chickens then 8 then a 145......

Turkey math is terrible! I had to buy two extra freezers because of the turkeys too!

Two extra freezers, you must have a lot of meat
droolin.gif
My Freezer is currently empty
th.gif
The freezer door got left open a little while back and everything thawed out, I was bummed, we cooked up most of it and made some chicken pot pies and froze them. I don't like having an empty freezer since I hate to buy meat at the grocery store. I have a few ducks and a few turkeys going into the freezer this week, but no chicken, sigh.

Im the opposite with turkey math. While I like the turkeys and they are friendly and beautiful, I REALLY LOVE my chickens. Chicken math gets me over and over again lol, I haven't had a problem with turkey math hitting me. Ive been debating on selling my turkey flock so I can use the turkey coop and run as a grow out pen for my chickens. I haven't decided yet since I do like my little flock of turkeys. They are just so costly and take up a little more space than chickens. Im hoping this Spring with only one Tom will be more low key and calm and hopefully I will have more fertile eggs since I wont have extra Toms bumping each other off lol.

Since it is turkey time . . .

Two birds went to processor on Sunday. One at 15#, a New Holland male that had impressive growth; and a cross bred hen at #10. SOld to the same customer at about $5/pound.

Eating at SIL on THursday and she is serving TUrducken. I"m not sure what to think. SOmehow this is just WRONG. lol

We eat turkey year round. Not just at the holidays anymore.

Chickadoodles--- hope you have a pan large enough!!! A 35#er is the largest I've roasted and it required a new supersize roasting pan AND foil extensions to make the pan bigger. lol Hope you post pics of this beast.

Turducken huh?! Sounds strange but interesting. Ive heard of people doing it but have never personally seen it. You will have to report back to us with what you thought of it. It its any good I may just have to try it.

Two days ago I noticed one of my tom's head/neck was covered in little black areas and my stomach dropped....ugh...blackhead.... so I went over to investigate further. Before I ever got turkeys I read all about blackhead knowing I would be free ranging all the chickens and turkeys together. Treatments, cayenne, meds, quarantine, losing my flock two days before processing... This is what I saw and while I stood there they started squabbling pecking at each other and realized YEAH!!! Superficial wounds!!! NOT blackhead!!!!

Two days ago I noticed one of my tom's head/neck was covered in little black areas and my stomach dropped....ugh...blackhead.... so I went over to investigate further. Before I ever got turkeys I read all about blackhead knowing I would be free ranging all the chickens and turkeys together. Treatments, cayenne, meds, quarantine, losing my flock two days before processing... This is what I saw and while I stood there they started squabbling pecking at each other and realized YEAH!!! Superficial wounds!!! NOT blackhead!!!!
Definitely wounds from squabbling with other Toms LOL. And also for future reference blackhead doesn't actually turn the heads black.

Amazing how they squabble and fight with each other! The first time I saw them pulling each others snoods I was shocked. I thought they would kill each other.

Which is why I plan to keep one tom and one hen together in a covered pen during breeding season. The way they fight now, I can't imagine how bad it would get if they were left to their own with only 4 hens for 5 toms....Which means 1 tom will have to be a dinner guest for sure.

I am so glad it was not blackhead! That is one of my major concerns too, because I raise all chickens, guineas and turkeys as 1 flock.

My Tom tried to land on my goat fence and I found him hanging upside down when I went outside this morning. His ankle was twisted in the fence and the skin was scraped off about a three inch segment. We cleaned it and wrapped it with horse wrap. Should we try to change the dressing periodically or should we just let him be?

He is walking, but it is with a limp. He is also laying down a lot, but that seems normal to me. Is there anything I should watch for?

Back
Top Bottom