Turn A 3 or 5 Gallon Bucket Into A Waterer! These are Great!

I got 3 buckets at my local store bakery - FREE!!! Love free stuff, if they don't have any when you go just ask if they can keep a few aside - that is what mine did!

I can get them free at my work sometimes too. I've made feeders out of those.

Last edited:
All of my feeders are made from free 5 gallon buckets. I'll post of couple pics of those too later.

Last edited:
Through trial and error we have found that our chickens definitely prefer open waterers. So we use a small auto waterer from the farm store. About $20 and it just hooks to the hose and it is always full. And it is small enough that it is not a drowning hazard for the smaller/younger chickens. They share it with the goats also.

I did use a nipple waterer when I brooded a group inside last year and while I had to keep checking it for leaks ( it held up) it did serve as a constant source of water as it was easy to fill up and never needed the constant cleaning out that some do. I like that there are different waterers for different situations.

This is what I have done as well, I made a feeder and a waterer with 5 gallon buckets, I stapled wire cloth on half pallet of wood and placed my feeder/waterer on top to keep debris out of pans, it works very well.

Hopefully just some useful information. I bought some water nipples from Amazon.com, they are yellow and they snap around a piece of 3/4" pvc. You have to drill a specific size hole and then just snap them into place. I have been using them since my chicks were 2 1/2 weeks old and they love it. Everything is hooked to the bottom of a dark blue, (so you don not get any algae growth) vs. white bucket and I fill it once a week and it stays nice and clean.

Back
Top Bottom