----- two breeds together?

newhatcher2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Is it okay to keep two different chicken breeds together as long as they are adopted on the same day?

You mean like this?:

I don't think the chickens care what breed thier buddy is
big_smile.png

Last edited:
2 or more... sure it is ok. I have 5 breeds together and they get along fine. It is easier to tell them all apart. You may want to pick breeds that have similar temperament. For instance you probably don't want to put chickens that have a rather aggressive reputation with say a bantam cochin who is small and mild mannered and might get picked on.

scratch'n'peck :

2 or more... sure it is ok. I have 5 breeds together and they get along fine. It is easier to tell them all apart. You may want to pick breeds that have similar temperament. For instance you probably don't want to put chickens that have a rather aggressive reputation with say a bantam cochin who is small and mild mannered and might get picked on.

Agree 100%.

I have a mixed flock. I mixed the flock so I could tell them apart, so I would get all the different personality types, and so I would have a variety of colors and patterns for my living yard art exhibition. WIN! All the way around.​

I have one of several breeds all mixed together, even a few Polish! No one seems to care that the others are not the same. And no, they are not all the same age and they came from different places. I love the variety.

I have several different breeds and am looking to add a few more. My banti cochin is sitting and I plan to stuff some black frizzle and buff orphington under her...two I don't have, but want!

Most of my girls are different breeds and ages. ( RIR, Buff Orp, and 2 Wyandotts that are around 9 weeks, 2 EE that are around 6 weeks, and I just got 2 white rocks that are around 4-5 weeks.) They do tend to hang out in pairs, but they all get along just fine. No fights over pecking order so far. (my RIR and Buff Orp hang out as if they were the same breed, maybe they just see each other as close enough. haha ) I love having all the variety and color in my yard, and they all have such wonderful personalities. :)

Back
Top Bottom