Ugh, got a meat bird by accident............

Mentzer6

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
DH picked out what he thought was a rare bird at the feed store and it has turned out to be a Cornish cross. It is so huge, I feel so sorry for it, hardly any feathers. We have it out with all the "normal" birds. She goes all over, even does some scratching. There is no way we will butcher the thing, DH can't bear selling her for that purpose. Everything I have read says to butcher them at such and such an age or weight, but what happens if you don't. I know their legs can have issues and their hearts can give out, but how long will she have? She is friendly, slow enough the kids catch her and love on her daily. Is it wrong just to let her live out her life like this?

If it's a white cornish cross....better for the animal to be butchered . I've tried to "make them last" no go . Red cornish cross last much longer and have fewer problems . I have 2 of those who are 3 yrs old and still lay .

There are some posts on here from people who have extended the lives of these birds by free ranging them so that they get more exercise, greens and have a work a bit harder for their food...and then I think restricting their food intake (?), I'm not certain...seems that would be hard to do while it's with the others. At least you will be giving it a nice life for the shortened one it has.

Thanks for the advice. I am not feeding meat bird feed, just regular 18% crumble. I know I have seen her milling about and going to and from the 2 coops, hopping up the ledges, so that has to be good for something. And like I said, she goes in the yard and scratches around. We've talked about how she probably wont live as long as the others. Will really keep a close eye on what we buy in the future though.

Back
Top Bottom