• I can't tell

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Klatt66

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 11, 2015
Olney, Md
Meet Lizzie (white) and Richard. I'm as much a novice as I could be and I am at a loss to determine if Lizzie is being set up for a lifetime of shaming, because who names a boy Lizzie's? Can anyone take a stab at sex typing my chickens?

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Last edited:
So I have me two rooster :( guess I have to go find a lady for these boys. Was it the feathers at the neck? That's what I was looking at, but again, novice here. It's funny, my kids came up with lizard too :) thanks for responding!

Now that I am sure we have a Double rooster situation, can I get a hen chick, or will they bother with it. Or do I need two hens since there are 2 roosters?
Thanks for any guidance.

Now that I am sure we have a Double rooster situation, can I get a hen chick, or will they bother with it. Or do I need two hens since there are 2 roosters?
Thanks for any guidance.

I like to keep several hens per rooster so the hens are not bothered too much by an "overly affectionate" rooster

For me it was the red comb. It is too big and too red on such a young bird for it not to be a roo. I faced the same thing with one of my Buff O's. He feathered out with the hens, looked like a hen, didn't have overly huge feet or legs and didn't have the deep gold orange coloring of the young roos as they feathered. BUT. He had that larger than normal red comb and wattles where the young hens didn't. We kept hoping he was a she until he crowed the first time and mounted one of the hens. Sort of a given at that point.

If you can get a few hens each for the boys to fuss over that would be great. Don't go the chick route. The boys will not be kind to them and by the time your roos reach maturity (ours started at 12 weeks to crow and look at the ladies)the chicks will not be old enough to be bred. If you can find somebody with young pullets close to your rooster's ages go that route. Your boys will thank you with lots of fertile eggs!

I know there are a lot of members that stress only one rooster per so many hens. Personally I like to have at least two roosters for a flock. Right now I have five roosters and 12 hens. A little out of balance but I'm hoping one of my Orpingtons will go broody when she reaches POL and provides us with some extra hens to go around. You never know when you are going to face the possibility of loosing a rooster so it's good to have a back up or 4....
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom