UK Member Please Say HI

Pics
@Rudies Roost

Hi. Just wondering if she is still fighting for survival and maybe making a little progress even? I'm really hoping no news is good news
fl.gif

Regards

Barbara

@rebrascora

Hi, thanks for asking....would you believe she is still here! She's started having a few nibbles of food here and there (not a lot but better than nothing) and will drink most of the time. I found a thread on here about giving birds with Mareks a homeopathic treatment called Hypericum (St. John's Wort) so I'm trying that too...probably clutching at straws but I'll give anything a go. The sling you suggested has been great, seems to make her a little happier and when its not raining, she's out in her crate in the garden with her pals. I think i have a disabled hen now so I'm not sure what will hapoen long term but we love her too much to not help her if we can. Thanks again for all your advice x

Hi from Reading (UK)

Just joined BYC and been invited to joint this thread by Yorkshire coop. As you can see I too am UK based. Have five hens. Not sure of the breeds as two were eggs, hatched by my daughter for a science project, they are similar to Rhode Island Red the classic brown chicken on the egg boxes. We have a Duchess Blue, a light Sussex and a black speckled hen with iridescent blue patches in the sun called a Lady cuckoo. They love a good dust bath and anything green to eat.

Hi there and welcome to the thread :frow
Could you post some pics of the ones you are unsure of? We could maybe help you ID them :D

@rebrascora

Hi, thanks for asking....would you believe she is still here! She's started having a few nibbles of food here and there (not a lot but better than nothing) and will drink most of the time. I found a thread on here about giving birds with Mareks a homeopathic treatment called Hypericum (St. John's Wort) so I'm trying that too...probably clutching at straws but I'll give anything a go. The sling you suggested has been great, seems to make her a little happier and when its not raining, she's out in her crate in the garden with her pals. I think i have a disabled hen now so I'm not sure what will hapoen long term but we love her too much to not help her if we can. Thanks again for all your advice x

I'm so pleased to hear she is still with you, hope the St. John's wort helps her :fl

Hi
1f64b.png
all well my lovely husband surprised me and came home with a box and said happy birthday
1f382.png
upon looking inside I saw 2 chickens 1 x Columbian black tail and 1x speckledey/ laced Wyandotte post
2709.png
pics later.
So I'm 37 today and feel totally miserable about it
2639.png

Last edited:
Hi
1f64b.png
all well my lovely husband surprised me and came home with a box and said happy birthday
1f382.png
upon looking inside I saw 2 chickens 1 x Columbian black tail and 1x speckledey/ laced Wyandotte post
2709.png
pics later.
So I'm 37 today and feel totally miserable about it
2639.png

:celebrate Lovely birds!! I've got a couple of those blacktails too!!

Was mine on Monday and I got a new yard brush!! Don't be miserable :hugs

I know where I would have put that brush if he dared by that for me
1f606.png
1f606.png
1f606.png

The poor buggers are being bullied at the mo

With having a horse a good brush is essential :gig I am OCD with sweeping and keeping a tidy ship down at the yard!! Practical things like that are good presents for me. I'm not into fancy things in life so anything horse or chicken related is good. He didn't just get me the brush I got some vouchers for the horsey horse shop too which I blew on another pair of jodhpurs, couldn't resist them as they are Jean ones with a nice suede seat :D Might stick my bum to the saddle more when I tackle Harry horse this afternoon!!

Have you put them all together straight away? Scuffles will happen until they sort their new pecking order out. Of it gets bad you could seperate them and just have wire between them so they can't attack but can still become acquainted.

:fl they settle soon.

I know its no where near as bad as the last time I introduced new chickens not as viscous but its good as there is two of them so they are sticking together put it this way no blood shed as of yet
1f610.png
gonna try get some pics in a bit
1f60a.png

Ps about brush as long as you are happy with it that's what matters

Belated happy birthday GGBear! Lovely present. :)

We got two new chickens too, and are still fighting the foxes. Went out to check on them at 9pm and the fox had chewed through all the overhang of the roof of the henhouse! This doesn't actually give access to the house, but it gave me the fear; we brought two of the chickens in - the existing Elvis and the new Bjork - and left one (new Bowie) in the house because she wouldn't come to us and I would have ended up breaking a leg or wing dragging her out. I then put loads of the extra thick and strong chicken wire around the house and fortunately Bowie was fine this morning. :)

We've spent today with nails and wood and more chicken wire putting layer upon layer around and over the house, with wood on the ends to weight it down, so that if a fox wants to get in it will hopefully be faced with chewing through layers of wire, which it wouldn't be able to do in one night. I still might end up bringing the hens in tonight if the fox makes too much headway. I have plans for a more secure henhouse elsewhere. The fox is not having my Elvis!

Hi Barbara and thanks for the welcome.

I missed your post the other day so hence the delay in the reply. Messaging system didn't work. Been building a large extension for the last year and a half. Still going on and was only supposed to take 6 months!! So hobbies are far and few between at the moment. However between the chicks and the builders the garden is trashed so I have to get on top of that soon.

We have had our brown hens since last Easter so they have been laying everyday since they were old enough, however they are going through a rest period at the moment. Having said that an egg appeared today. However the new three are not quite there yet. Still waiting patiently. When they do though we should have different coloured eggs, not just the brown ones we have been used to, so that will be interesting.

We too have cats, I would love some bees but I am afraid of it going horribly wrong and horses scare me. I just feel they are too big, though I can understand the attraction for other people.

Thanks again

Saerah

Back
Top Bottom