UK Member Please Say HI

Pics
@JenJohno Did you take your Sussex back? How did things go?
hey! Yes we took her back and got a new Sussex who seems so much better. Although introducing her to the Blackrock at home has been testing! Shes getting pecked at no end but I think that's just the pecking order being established again, and she's obviously a strange hen!

Hello there - I'm a newbie to BYC, based in the Surrey Hills near Guildford, and am following all of your chicken introduction and hatching stories with great interest and hope
fl.gif

I came back from holiday in August to find my sweet 7 month old RhodeRock (Black Rock/Mrs Pepperpot) brooding on a mixed clutch of 10 eggs, so I'm an accidental joiner to the September Hatch-a-long
frow.gif

I 'think' they're due on around 8th, but it depends when she started sitting (the eggs were already hot and she was sitting when I got back from holiday on the 20th Aug). All eggs (I hope) fertilised by my buff-laced Polish roo, Fluffernutter (also an accidental addition to my flock of hens...see profile pic). So who knows what will result, as my hens are:
1 Splash Polish - 3 eggs
1 RhodeRock (the broody) - 3 eggs
1 (similar to ISA warren/brown-type) ex-batt hen - 4 eggs

Beyond excited to see if our RhodeRock can hatch any little chicks
love.gif

Finding it incredibly difficult not to sit by the coop all the time and watch... but have restrained myself from interfering too much and am trying to let her get on with it. Haven't even candled the eggs as she hardly ever gets off them and I'm nervous about removing them to candle in the house, so no doubt a few will be non-starters anyway. Am trying to curb my optimism!

[COLOR=333333]Hello there - I'm a newbie to BYC, based in the Surrey Hills near Guildford, and am following all of your chicken introduction and hatching stories with great interest and hope :fl [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I came back from holiday in August to find my sweet 7 month old RhodeRock (Black Rock/Mrs Pepperpot) brooding on a mixed clutch of 10 eggs, so I'm an accidental joiner to the September Hatch-a-long :frow  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I 'think' they're due on around 8th, but it depends when she started sitting (the eggs were already hot and she was sitting when I got back from holiday on the 20th Aug). All eggs (I hope) fertilised by my buff-laced Polish roo, Fluffernutter (also an accidental addition to my flock of hens...see profile pic). So who knows what will result, as my hens are:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]1 Splash Polish - 3 eggs[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]1 RhodeRock (the broody) - 3 eggs[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]1 (similar to ISA warren/brown-type) ex-batt hen - 4 eggs[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Beyond excited to see if our RhodeRock can hatch any little chicks:love  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Finding it incredibly difficult not to sit by the coop all the time and watch... but have restrained myself from interfering too much and am trying to let her get on with it. Haven't even candled the eggs as she hardly ever gets off them and I'm nervous about removing them to candle in the house, so no doubt a few will be non-starters anyway. Am trying to curb my optimism![/COLOR]

Hiya! Welcome to BYC! I know exactly what you mean about restraint lol. I keep wanting to check on our new mama every fifteen minutes lol! She should start hatching tomorrow so now I'm really getting impatient! We originally were just trying to break her of brooding but she wouldn't have it, so we ended up putting some eggs under her. I have worried about her constantly, but she seems to be doing fine. I'm so excited to see the chicks!

We've had two broodies that have hatched chicks this year....the chicks are between 8 & 10 weeks old now but the whole experience has been superb. Just wait till the mother is out and about showing the babies what life is all about, it's totally fascinating. Enjoy.

This pic is from mid July...the chicks are huge now!

Hi :welcome @usainpoult

Glad you could join us here!! I've had my first broody this year and I have to say it's been a truly amazing experience. Watching her raise them has been great.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your hatch :fl

Oh my black rock is so sweet my daisiebell is the most mischievous and my light Sussex is the head hen she can be a bit of a ***** if the others step out of line, but shes the one that always goes up first to my 2 year old for loves and ive only had them 5 weeks
May I also add she also thinks shes a duck roosting with my Indian runners playing with them and even walks around the pond while they are in lol

Back
Top Bottom