UK Member Please Say HI

@timon

That sunburn looks very sore too.

Ah !
Is that actually sunburn?? I'd wondered why she's red. It's not even been that sunny recently.
I have some cream for sunburn... but hadn't thought to put it on a chicken before.

Thank you all for the encouragement. It's great to learn how to look after these little ladies. I feel like it's a joint effort with some coaches on the sideline !

I'm sure you all have far more to think about with horses and other animals...
Apart from chickens and a couple of feral cats that keep coming back for food... as long as I keep the moles from destroying my grass, that's all the large wildlife ive got to worry about.

I was so happy that my girls saddles arrived today. I got 3 for the most bald bats. The others seem to be fluffing up quite nicely.
But I'm worried that they're too big... they don't lie flat on their backs. Still, I'm hopeful they'll be protected.

Less limping today, and unless you knew about the war wound I'm sure no one would notice from a cursory glance.

What living arrangements do people create when they separate Roos from girls? I've got a greenhouse, but was hoping it'd be a temporary home for an occasional visitor, rather than a more permanent roo-separation staycation !

@timon

The sun burn is from when you first got them a few weeks back I imagine. You have to remember that these girls have never seen sun (or rain as you pointed out in a previous post) and their skin is usually covered with feathers, so it has never been exposed to UV before and is therefore much more vulnerable to burning. If you notice her skin is white in the areas that were covered like under her wings. I would certainly put something on it to try to keep it moist and supple. Those chicken saddles look quite rigid compared to other fabric home made ones I've seen but that might actually be a good thing as it will keep most of it up off that sunburn and pin feathers coming through. I would check every couple of days for the first week or so that it is not rubbing sores on the areas that it does make contact with though.

I'm afraid I have less sympathies towards young cockerels than I do my hens/pullets, especially when they are at the "rape and pillage" stage, so they get processed or go in a shed with a window, with occasional free ranging when the others are not out. I think the green house might be a perfect solution for yours for a few months. He will still have an outlook and sunshine and plenty of space and a safe, secure area to live in. I can't see any drawbacks to it.... assuming it is glass or poly carbonate and not a polythene cover, which would obviously not be secure.

I was so happy that my girls saddles arrived today. I got 3 for the most bald bats. The others seem to be fluffing up quite nicely.
But I'm worried that they're too big... they don't lie flat on their backs. Still, I'm hopeful they'll be protected.

Less limping today, and unless you knew about the war wound I'm sure no one would notice from a cursory glance.

What living arrangements do people create when they separate Roos from girls? I've got a greenhouse, but was hoping it'd be a temporary home for an occasional visitor, rather than a more permanent roo-separation staycation !

Ah, they look lovely in their new coats. My saddles don't have the posh wing flaps that yours do so that may be why they're sitting a little proud on your hen's backs. I've found they have been a God send so I hope you have some luck with them.

Here's one of my ladies sporting her saddle:

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Sorry I've not been around much here. Busy with work and chooks.
Picked 8of these poor girls up yesterday... All doing well so far.

@rebrascora

Hi Barbara :D

Hope your all good up there and have been better than me at getting out riding :oops: I want to get lots of flags out for you! Been a bot hectic here of late with one thing and another. Nanna is finally out of hospital but only on Tuesday night which was a right cafuffle to say the least. They say about bed blocking but goodness they were so slow discharging her after they said she could home. Harry came in too so getting back into a mucking out routine has been strange. So far so good with the puffy legs, just a tad puffy but nothing major like I was expecting. Bit stiff going out first thing but all in all not as bad as I was expecting.
I've also started a courier job delivering in my area, just 2-3 mornings a week but still need to get into a routine with it.

Had a few flock issues too :( One of my pens decided they were going to outcast a hen. They have lived together since they were hatched 2 1/2 years ago but they decided they were going to kill her! It wasn't just a battle it was war. Goodness knows what would have happened if I hadn't heard the carrying on out there.
Just trying to get her reinstated in the pen but it's slow going. Then today I've had an egg bound hen. Thankfully a bit of gentle persuasion has got it out and she running around again.

How are the eggs doing? Must be due for hatching soon :jumpy I bet Tash is doing a great job.

Kim xx

How is your hen doing now?

Ah, they look lovely in their new coats. My saddles don't have the posh wing flaps that yours do so that may be why they're sitting a little proud on your hen's backs. I've found they have been a God send so I hope you have some luck with them.

Here's one of my ladies sporting her saddle:

Very smart ;)
Is she a vorwerk?

Hello everyone. Sorry I've not been around much here. Busy with work and chooks.
Picked 8of these poor girls up yesterday... All doing well so far.

:frow

New hens? Rescues?

@Yorkshirecoop Yep....she's a Vorwerk. She's a delight to have around too.

Those saddles...honestly, for my flock, are an absolute saviour. I've removed them off a few of the hens whilst their new feathers are coming through but I'll be putting them straight back on when they are fully feathered again. My Roo is racist! He prefers the dark coloured ladies so they get a hard time of it. My Bluebell, Leila, however just takes hers off, God knows how but every time I put it on her, she gets the poppers undone within about 2 hours so sadly, she has one awful bare back permanently. I hope she starts moulting soon but showing no signs yet. This will be her 1st big moult and boy does she need it.

I'm still getting a decent stash of eggs here, about 9-11 a day still (out of 23 chucks, still have youngsters so prob out of 18 or so layers)....the pure breeds have more or less stopped but the hybrids are slow this year to get on with the moult....I'm not complaining but I wish they'd give themselves a rest! How is everyone else's egg production doing? I'd be interested to know!!

@Yorkshire Coop

Hi Kim

So good to hear that your Nanna is out of hospital. I hope her recovery is a smooth and speedy one.

Yes my beasties are in now that the ground is so wet. I rode out yesterday with my best mate, who is here visiting from Australia. It was sooooo good to see her! I was supposed to get Rascal out this afternoon but the heavens opened and I wimped out. I was wondering how Harry was doing. I know I would worry about that stiffness if it was one of mine, but then I have to remind myself that I'm really stiff coming down stairs first thing on a morning.... it's just age and to be expected.... normal even... and it wears off after a few mins.
Having said that there was certainly no sign of stiffness in Rebel yesterday. He and MeMe were both full of it, but it was mostly controllable. We did end up half galloping along a country lane after an extended trot suddenly suffered a severe turbo boost! He's a devil! Thankfully not a single buck though, so I was really proud of him and he did some beautiful lateral work and rein backs.

Hatch due Sun/Mon and all still going well, although I have no idea if they are fertile. Do you think broodies can tell? If they can then Tash must think they are because she is tending them well. I believe they know when some are not going to hatch once hatching starts because they will hear and feel them(or not as the case may be) but before hatching starts, like at this stage, when there will be little/no movement or sound, I would be surprised if they are aware of how much time has elapsed and how close to hatch they may be. Anyway, we will know soon enough, but so far no problems or broken eggs.

Egg production is still shocking from the main flock, but the two Marans that Ian bought me are both laying most days and I am getting some beautiful dark eggs from one of them in particular. I'm getting one pekin egg a day, two if I am lucky, but the 3 pullets in that pen should start laying soon. One has started with the "crazy behaviour" so shouldn't be long for her.

Really sad to hear that one of your hens has been getting a rough time. I know they do get grumpy when they are moulting and this wet weather doesn't help, but singling a hen out like that and hammering her is really not nice. I hope you are able to reintegrate her once she gets her confidence back.

Good luck with the delivery job. Is it just in your local area? I imagine it makes quite a nice part time job, especially in a rural area.

Must head off now and do evening stables. I had hoped the rain would ease off but I can still hear it hitting the window. Might have to wear the wellies and over trousers tonight!....Winter gear....Ugh!

Best wishes

Barbara

Back
Top Bottom