UK Member Please Say HI

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...-birds-biosecurity-inside-prevention-zone.pdf

My birds are in a roofed, welded wire run and greenhouse coop, I will be filling all sparrow sized holes in the run and using disinfectant on my garden shoes and anywhere else that takes my fancy at the time. I would restrict them to just the greenhouse but I have just introduced 6 chicks and I think the crowding would cause problems for the younger birds. I think the best thing that we can do with small flocks is to do what we can regarding housing, separation from wild birds and disinfecting and observe and report anything that is of concern.

Good ideas. Luckily, we already double skinned our Heras fencing with fine gauge chicken wire...more to keep the squirrels and dogs noses out but the holes are also too small for Sparrows. Also, I live right next an airport (the planes literally take off over the end of our garden) so not too many birds get within the flying zone of our house due to the airport control measures for the runway....usually keeps most migrating birds away (never thought I'd see the day when I was truly grateful for the Airport's bird scarers!!).

I will take the advice and keep a disinfectant dip outside the coop just in case. I wasn't planning on visiting any upcoming bird shows but I definitely won't now!

I've decided to move my flock of 12 ducks into my garage- even if it's a small risk, I still don't want to take the chance (BTW we don't park the cars in the garage, so there is no fumes). I've constructed a medium sized pen, lined the bottom with a tarp and put down a bale of chopped straw. Just hoping that the drakes won't start fighting each other again.

My chickens are just going to stay outside in their run with a clear tarp on the roof of the run.

:frow

I'm sure all this will be just for precautionary measures. As always though things like this can be very worrisome especially as more migratory birds head over here. As already said wild birds are the biggest carriers of this so keeping them out is a good precautionary measure. Thankfully I have covered runs so wild birds are kept out. I'm sure though my little birds won't be happy at not being let out in the garden :(

I could not resist winding my mum up this morning though over it all :gig She text me early this morning when she had seen it on the news, she asked "Can I let the girls out of the coop" She has a couple of warrens & polish in a covered run like mine. Well I just could not stop myself when I rang her back and told her she would have to bring them in the house! :lau She replied rather loudly that no way were they livng in the house with a few bleep words thrown in there :rant

It gave me a good giggle for the morning and she felt very daft that she believed me!

Last edited:
Well I've probably got the best part of 60 birds and the largest portion are completely free range and have no pen, just a coop/stable. I'm going to ask my wonderful neighbour who has an empty coop and enclosed run if I can rent it from him for the next 30 days. It will be very tight even just for my layers but I suppose if I can put them in his coop, I can then confine the others to their stable/coop without it being too over crowded.....They are not going to be happy though! It's a shame as they were just coming back into lay and a move will definitely upset them even if it is just next door. I will need to do some construction work for the pens down at home here as they are mostly open pens. Dispatching some more cockerels would ease things but I don't have time for construction and processing. Arrgh! Not what I needed right now.

I guess all any of us can do, is our best and at short notice, none of us can work miracles, so as long as we are seen to be attempting to comply with the precautions, I don't think there is any cause to panic too much. Lets just hope there are no confirmed cases in the next few days/weeks in the UK, as that will up the anti significantly.

Phew, this site helped me out yet again
My girls are in a heras fencing run with a ply roof just been out and sheeted the sides with some fine plastic mesh netting also liberated from work I'd be surprised if a fly could get through the netting
nothing outside the run can get at food or water
I've disinfectant for washing my boots
Hope this is enough
They didn't sound impressed I didn't let them out when I got home
1f615.png

That's quite a project there for you Barbara :( An awful lot of birds for you to move! Especially if you dont need this right now and don't have time to dispatch or construct things. Are you getting like me and could do with a 28 + hour day?
As you say though doing the best you can at short notice is all everyone can do. I'm just hoping all this passes without too much fuss just as it did in 2014.

Hope all your 4 legged friends are doing ok? Harry doing ok and still plodding on, weather driving me batty!

Last edited:
Cheers, was running about like a lunatic tonight first I heard of it I was on my way to work
I'm halfway through building a new coop to move them into and move my chicks out they're sat watching TV with me at the moment
Looks like they'll be still in for xmas
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Thanks for the info to the thread Yorkshire coop...very informative, as we only have 2 girls right now it will/should be easy enough for us to keep their food and water away from wild birds...most wild birds we do get in the garden get stalked by our cats anyway :) I think it's easy to panic but also nae harm in taking precautions. Last thing we want to hear on the news is thousands of birds having to get slaughtered due to an outbreak :-(

Back
Top Bottom