UK Member Please Say HI

Gosh you did hatch a few didn't you lol. Love your little set up! So worth the wait aren't they
1f60d.png

Last edited:
Hi all,
I have made a thread about the direction I want to be taking my flock, specifically asking about very large silkie strains in the UK, if you have a very large silkie strain, or know of one, please head over. I am also looking for a particularly large / friendly / docile and quiet orpington strain.
Thanks allot.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1167023/looking-for-the-largest-silkies-around-uk

It may be a bit far for you, but Carlse Poultry Auction is one of the UK biggest auctions and has loads (600+ pairs) of really nice birds. Last time I saw some MASIVE Silkies and Orps the size of a dog..... Also 'Keith's Orps' might be of interest for you..... Good luck with your search,
Charlotte

Thanks for the suggestions, Keith's Orps look like really nice birds. I will be passing through Carlisle on Sunday and there is a sale on Saturday so nearly perfect timing, oh well. It's encouraging that you saw some big silkies, I'm sure they are around all over the place, I'm surprised they aren't easier to find.

Not tried it myself but if you fancy it I would look for the expensive free range ones that they sell. I've not seen duck or quail eggs for sale in supermarkets though :confused:

You could also try finding somewhere local to you to buy eggs. There are two other people in my village that sell eggs from their own flocks and I know they have a cockerel runnng with their girls because I've seen them when I pass. That's how I got my Brahma eggs, he is friend yes but he sells his eggs from his flock from the kennels he runs from home so I knew they would be fertile :D

16/16 that made it to lockdown hatched :bun
3/6 polish are Tolbunt too so I may feel the need to keep them rather than selling them on :oops:

I'm hoping to get them out to the shed today as they are making a serious mess of the guinea cage :sick

Back
Top Bottom