Um...came home to a duck.

Now I have a question for the experts - how can you tell it's a muscovy & what sex?? Thanks in advance, Sue
I have Muscovy's so I can spot them pretty easy but the facial skin coming on top of her bill is a dead give away and the fact it's just starting gives us an idea of age. she looks girly to me getting so pics from the side will help also and good front views with legs included will also help. I love the tail wag too it's so sweet.

Ducks can't actually eat chicken feed, they need niacin, even as adults. So just put some crushed niacin tablets or brewer's yeast (NOT baking yeast!) in the mix. That's all. :3

Looks like a muscovy pullet, or an adult cross-breed. Muscovies don't have drake feathers, but the males' heads look downright bumpy! She's an adorable little girl, and she seems super friendly towards you. Best of luck!
? they can passed early stage extra niacin addition is not needed, ducks often eat chicken growers and layers. I can tell you this all my ducks do and are perfectly fine, i'll even up that and say i prefer my Muscovy NOT be raised on a duck dedicated feed, i do not use my scovies for meat i do not need rapid growth for bulk and quick slaughter.

and female Muscovy can be quite fleshy too... varies males(drakes) usually have more but i have some pretty well fleshed females here.
smile.png

Last edited:
Now I have a question for the experts - how can you tell it's a muscovy & what sex?? Thanks in advance, Sue

It appears like one, they have a pretty distinct look even as ducklings, at this point i'd lean towards female... males are kinda bulky, large overall, legs, feet etc...

Here is an example.. this is two of mine hatched this summer.. white is the drake, chocolate is the duck.

Last edited:
That is definitely a Muscovy. I love how my male wags his tail too :love
This is my male

And This is my now dead :( hen

Big size difference

is it making a sort of raspy noise (boys do)
or a quack (girl duck)

Muscovy don't do that...

Drakes only hiss

Females honk, trill, hiss and coo.. mainly coo and trill a honking, quacking scovie lady is usually NOT happy lol

Muscovy are not mallard derived so have a unique makeup of features and characteristics, awesome fliers, roost and claws that rival the best cat.

Oh she is soooo cute! I have four Muscovys. They are great birds. Maybe you could eventually get her another female to pal around with? I'd probably not get a drake if you are going to keep them in with the chickens. I have had quite a few other breeds and they seem to be the most calm birds of all the breeds. And the little noises they make are so adorable.
If you keep girl ducks, you can feed them layer pellets. They are great layers, nice big eggs. You can offer some additional ground oyster shells during the heavy laying season. I like to also feed some chopped veggies, some cracked corn in the cold parts of the winter, and of course, peas as a treat.
Make sure you give her a bowl of water that is deep enough to wash her face completely in. Some of my Scovys like to swim in their kiddie pool, some don't. But at the very least, try providing a large enough pan of water that she can get into to bathe if she chooses. Just make sure it is separate of the drinking water. If she has food out, she will need water, they can choke if they don't have water to wash the food down.
Love to see more pics of her. She is so pretty.

Back
Top Bottom