Unabsorbed yolk sack HELP!!!!!

18849_dscf0085.jpg

This is my little one that had not absorbed the yolk. It was tricky because this one had veins going through it. It ended up leaking and it started bleeding and the chick was getting worn down so I clamped it, waited like 1/2 hour with it in my hands (still clamped) and when I let go it was fine. If it is real yellow and has no veins and also if it is doing fine otherwise leave it alone and it will absorb it. If it breaks or leaks you might have to interveine. Mine is doing fine now. Keep us updated.

No, do not snip it. It has nutrients to help strengthen the chick if I remember right. They need to absorb it. I had a chick this happened to in my last hatch and was told often they die. I made a moist chicken diaper out of a paper towel and kept it around it holding the yolk sac close to the chick. My chick survived.

HTH
Carolyn

Your chick actually lived? Wow. Maybe mine will too. I can't keep him settled. He even scrambled over
a 2 inch plastic box. I took the other chicks out of the incubator and cleaned it and put him back by himself.
He's still alive but bled and messed all over so I thought I better sterilize the incubator, it was starting to
smell. The sac is not intact but a bloody eggy horror. He started to get a little weak and I gave him a little
warm sugar water and now he's restless again. He lost so much blood it seems impossible that he is still alive,
but he had about as much egg sac hanging out as yours.

When mine broke the sac I had it in the incubator by itself too. Since it didn't absorb the sac I put down a paper towel and some chick starter and egg for it. The sac kind of stuck to the towel and it was bleeding out so that's why I decided to clamp it for a while and then cut it off. I held the end in my fingers while I watched tv. She did survive and is doing just fine!

I know that all seasoned chicken people will disagree with me, but i had a little serama with a not completely absorbed yolk sac and i knew what would happen if it burst. I tied it off with unwaxed dental floss and clipped it. I applied betadine and that was 3 months ago. My little white serama is alive and well today. I am not saying this is the correct thing to do, only that is what I personally did. ( i used mini forceps and tied just below the forceps. Donna

Back
Top Bottom