*Update* My dog may have cancer! :(

Thanks everyone!

Goria: Yup, I have started introducing supplements into her diet. I plan to take it slow and introduce one at a time instead of all at once. She's a picky eater so I think this is the best way to go. I started her on fish oil for the Omega 3, 6 and 9. She seems to be ok with the two capsules in her food every feeding time....at least I have not found a stash of pills hidden under the couch yet
smile.png

I'm not sure which I will introduce next. I was thinking maybe selenium or glucosamine.

Urban Coyote

You can get a tack & drain the capsules over her kibble, that way the oil definately gets into her system. No need for her to ingest the capsules themselves as a dog processes their feed so fast (and a different rates than we do.)
I don't know if you are *up* for it, but I HIGHLY recommend any books by Dr. Ian Billinghurst, but Raise Your Pups With Bones is most helpful as it goes through & explains why exactly each vitamin & supplement is so helpful & does what it does. It is aimed at breeding & puppies, but it does address older dogs & I feel will certainly help in your case. I am not saying you have to feed a raw diet, but it will explain alot to you. JMO
Kristi

I sure hope all is going to well for your Tala.

you had asked if anyone had a dog that had to have a leg removed -

I do my hound dog Dixie is a three legged wonder dog - she lost her front leg when she was 1.5 ( she is 4 now ) some kids got drunk and decided to use Dixie as a soccer ball - they broke her pelvis on both sides , perment damage to the front leg and minor head injuries and other booboos along her body.
she has done great with only three legs sometimes running faster than the boxers LOL and you should see her when it snows OMG that girl can run she loves the snow.
she even went on to be the proud momma to 10 oops puppy's - all 10 found loving homes
so if your Tala has to have only three legs she will do fine.

( Dixie has even figured out how to balance just right and is able to dig a hole with her only front leg and sneak out of the yard LOL )

Julie

That's why I put it in the gravy food. Also... Did you check out the multi vitamin? It has everything in it. My dog will eat them like treats. I crush them into the food. How many mgs of fish oil are you giving now? I would work up to at least 3000. Want to punch that cancer in the face!!!!
smack.gif

Sorry everyone that I took so long to update this post. It was a pretty stressful holiday break....but there is good news at the end of all the worrying.

I found out just before the end of the holidays that Tala's lump is not cancerous! Woohooo! I was able to relax the last few days of the break.

The pathology report came back saying that the lump looks like an extreme inflammatory reaction to something. We don't know what, but at least it's not cancer. It could be an injury to her toe (wouldn't be surprised at all if she had her foot stepped on by a horse), or it could be arthritis. I've ordered her some Glucosamine/msn joint supplements to also add to her diet and am keeping my fingers crossed that it will help ward off another such episode.

Cheers to everyone and thank you for your well wishes! Hope everyones holidays were awesome!

Urban Coyote

Back
Top Bottom