Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Awesome information!! So glad to know what to do next time I need to give meds orally.
I lost 5 total to what I suspect was coccidiosis. The rest are ok and still drinking the medicated water. I thought I'd better continue the 5 day dose to be safe......

Thanks again! I'm just going to squirt it in the side of the mouth and they can swallow it on their own. A 1 ml dose isn't that much for a full grown chicken.

Does the Corid go bad after being mixed for one day? Or can I mix up 5 days worth and keep it in the fridge?

Edited: I looked up the info on-line. It can be stored mixed for 3 days in a closed container.
big_smile.png

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=9359107f-40d2-43f4-b607-e99d91333d11

Thanks again! I'm just going to squirt it in the side of the mouth and they can swallow it on their own. A 1 ml dose isn't that much for a full grown chicken.

Does the Corid go bad after being mixed for one day? Or can I mix up 5 days worth and keep it in the fridge?

Edited: I looked up the info on-line. It can be stored mixed for 3 days in a closed container.
big_smile.png

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=9359107f-40d2-43f4-b607-e99d91333d11
20mg, which is 1ml when mixed like I suggested, is what a 2.2 pound chicken would get, it's has approximently yhr same amount of medicine as .2ml of Corid 9.6% solution (96mg/ml), that has 19.2 ml. The cattle dose is 10mg/kg, but the poultry dose is 20mg/kg.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I have 5 week old chicks that have been in the coop for 1 week. Today, I noticed 2 watery and white droppings with what looked like intestinal shedding (not blood colored, more orange and gelatinous, but long). The birds all look and act active and healthy. Are there any downsides to treating the flock with Corid? I would rather wait, but not if its too risky. They got the coccidiosis treatment they give day-old chicks at the hatchery.

The info I read says to treat them every 4 weeks. I'm not a fan of over-medicating either. However, Coccidia can kill chicks quickly, so you need to be prepared to medicate them if they do get sick. It won't hurt to treat them now if you suspect they have it. I just mixed it in with the water for 5 days. Before treatment some of mine had runny droppings. Now they are all nice little balls. They weren't sick before treatment but I'm sure they were harboring Coccidia.

The other day I tried to syringe my hens with the Corid solution I mixed up with water. It didn't go very smoothly. It ended up all over my pants and the hens had wet heads when i was done. Yesterday I mixed it with their small bowl of "treats" and they gobbled it down. I think I'll stick to that route of administration for adult chickens. It seems to work well as long as you know each chicken is getting its share of the food.

Mixing the Corid in water is easiest if your chickens are confined and only have one water source. You know they are getting the corid in the water and it is simple to mix. (Since my hens are free range they drink from multiple water sources and it was impossible to put it in the water.)

Thanks for the suggestions on how to administer. I do have them enclosed and with one water source, so it would be easy, but I don't understand quite how the medicines work, hence my reluctance to use them "just in case."

Thanks for the suggestions on how to administer. I do have them enclosed and with one water source, so it would be easy, but I don't understand quite how the medicines work, hence my reluctance to use them "just in case."
Corid (amprolium) is the medication in medicated chick starter, but it's not an antibiotic like Sulmet ot other sulfa drugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amprolium
The drug is a thiamine analogue and blocks the thiamine transporter of Eimeria species. By blocking thiamine uptake it prevents carbohydrate synthesis.
Despite only moderate efficacy it is well favoured due to few resistance issues and is commonly used in conjunction with sulfonamides prophylactically in chickens and cattle as a coccidiostat.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom