Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Yes. We had our chicks "vaccinated" for coccidiosis. But, I couldn't find on their website what that entails, exactly. However, I can email and ask them. They have been good at responding.

I just put my six wk old chicks in the chicken yard two days ago and put my 9-10 week old chicks in with my grown hens. (Chicks may be older) They are in the same yard but sectioned off. I noticed bloody poo in the smaller chicks section this morning. No one is lethargic or not eating that I can see. I've had chickens since March if last year and never treated any of them. Should I treat all of them with Corid? Do I scoop up the bloody poo and discard it?

Last edited:
I just put my six wk old chicks in the chicken yard two days ago and put my 9-10 week old chicks in with my grown hens. (Chicks may be older) They are in the same yard but sectioned off. I noticed bloody poo in the smaller chicks section this morning. No one is lethargic or not eating that I can see. I've had chickens since March if last year and never treated any of them. Should I treat all of them with Corid? Do I scoop up the bloody poo and discard it?
Yes on both questions. Keep the coop as clean as possible by scooping up as much as you can. You should treat everyone with Corid at the same time. If you don't, the birds you didn't treat will re-infect the ones you did treat once they start sharing the same yard. Are you feeding them medicated feed? If so, that should take care of the coccidia without using Corid.

Everyone is eating and drinking and running around. They seem normal. Should they all be in medicated feed?

Last edited:
Yes on both questions. Keep the coop as clean as possible by scooping up as much as you can. You should treat everyone with Corid at the same time. If you don't, the birds you didn't treat will re-infect the ones you did treat once they start sharing the same yard. Are you feeding them medicated feed? If so, that should take care of the coccidia without using Corid.

Medicated feed will NOT take care of Coccidia. I had several chicks die of Cocci last year even though all they ate was the medicated feed. After stool samples and speaking to the vet I was advised that the amount of amprolium in the feed is not enough to take care of a major infection, it is enough to keep the cocci in check while the bird (thru exposure) builds up a tolerance and becomes able to live with the cocci. Cocci is everywhere and you really cannot get rid of it, the trick is to keep your birds alive long enough to build up the resistance they need. The vet told me my birds probably contracted some other infection which caused them to go off their feed, when they stopped eating the medicated feed the cocci that was already in their systems had a chance to grow unchecked and become a major infection. I would add corid immediately and perhaps try to find some Sulmet, which is much stronger and will take care of the cocci. Just my 2 cents.
hu.gif

With a severe outbreak I would recommend giving Corid orally as well as in the water. This works best with the 9.6% Solution, just give .2ml per 2.2 pounds or one small drop to chicks. This can be done with the powder, but I haven't worked out the details on that yet.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom