Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
A couple of questions on coccidiosis and treatment. I have a flock of 25 mixed ages of 8 months to 8 weeks. We recently introduced a new rooster and the last few days I have noticed diarrhea in a couple of the hens and today finally was able to find coccidia on the fecal (had some sucspicion). I have Corid and will dose accordingly, likely high as those with diarrhea are drooping already, but my question is this: I know I will need to discard the eggs while treating and for a few days post, but is it safe to feed them to the hog? It will be April before we butcher and I hate for all of those eggs to go to waste :/!!

Also, cleaning the coop-I use sand as litter so will swap out batches so the one in the run can be disinfected, but the concrete floor. Can I bleach at the usual 1:10, lock them out for a few hours so it dries and ventillates and then lay down new sand??

Oh and, I have access to Albon-would that be ideal to use in the few hens that are drooping in addition to the Corid? If so, at what dose?

Oh and, I have access to Albon-would that be ideal to use in the few hens that are drooping in addition to the Corid? If so, at what dose?
No need to use both. Not sure what the Albon dose is, but can look it up is you tell me how many mg per ml (mg/ml), or are they pills? Either way, need to know the mg.

-Kathy

I'll look into it.

-Kathy

Kathy,
Do you know if the corid and sulfonamides given to chickens in water (my flock recently had an outbreak and had to be treated with both anitbiotics and coccidiastats due to an opportunistic bacterial infection with the coccidian) are dangerous to ducks/guineas? I have about 100 chickens, but just 2 ducks and 1 guinea (poor thing was the only one to successfully hatch from 48 mailed guinea eggs), and not enough space to separate the ducks/guinea from the chicks they are housed with. I know they warn against medicated feed being given to ducks because they will overdose since they eat so much. Unfortunately they also drink a lot. However I need to treat all the chicks until they can develop a fight against coccidia since I know that it is present in the soil and they are too big to stay in the brooder any longer (especially the ducks). I would appreciate any advice and help very much.
Thanks,
Laura

Corid and sulfa drugs can be given to guineas and waterfowl, but I would not give sulfas unless I knew they were sick. Feeds medicated with amprolium are safe for waterfowl... There used to be a medicated feed that was toxic to waterfowl, which is why some people are confused. :D

-Kathy

I have a bird who is not responding to Corid as well as I would hope. It's a complicated situation, and I'd love your input. Here's the timeline:

1. Waffles has slimy green poop. Lydia has bloody poop. I start treating the older girls (4 pullets, 6 mos. old) with Corid at the strongest dose.
2. 5 days treatment with Corid (powdered) at strongest dose. Infection recedes (no more slimy/bloody poop)
3. Pullets show signs of respiratory disease, begin treatment with Duramyacin.
4. Continue treating with Corid at maintenance dose, Duramyacin at strongest dose (combined).
5. Two days after switching to lower Corid dose, another slimy poop! Corid dose increased to strongest dose again for 2 days.
6. Corid reduced to maintenance dose after 2 days, for 3 more days.
7. After 7 days of Duramyacin (full strength) and 3 days of Corid at maintenance dose (simultaneous), I got another slimy poop (from Waffles) and some bloody poop (unknown source) today.
8. Today was the last scheduled day of Duramyacin treatment, and the day I saw the suspicious poops.
9. I ran out of powdered Corid today (making the last batch), and have purchased the liquid.

So... Do I bump the Corid dose back up to full strength for another 5 days? Could the extended cocci outbreak be because their systems were being bombarded by the antibiotics at the same time?
Or is this cocci non-responsive to the Corid, in which case I should do a round of Sulmet? Or do I give their little bodies a break and give them clear water and probiotic water for a few days and see what happens?

Only one of these ladies is laying (though she stopped when she got sick with the respiratory thing), and the others are close. I'd rather not extend the withdrawal date by administering Sulmet if I don't have to, but I will do whatever it takes to get these ladies back to health.

Any input is appreciated, thanks so much!!!

Last edited:
Tell me if this looks like Coccidiosis to you. It sure did to me. After doing a fecal exam today there is none, however the vet did find Capillaria and roundworms. May I ask how you know you have Cocci?
Great question! I didn't mention that my ladies get rooster booster dewormer for 3 days once a month. I have seen no evidence of worms in the feces. I treated Waffles with a few drops of ivermectin before I started the Corid. I am encouraged by the initial response to the corid, as well. Here are some fun poo pics, both taken today. These say cocci to me, not worms.

Back
Top Bottom