Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
Tell me if this looks like Coccidiosis to you. It sure did to me. After doing a fecal exam today there is none, however the vet did find Capillaria and roundworms. May I ask how you know you have Cocci?
I have wazine in the med kit that I could try if you think this looks like worms...

Great question! I didn't mention that my ladies get rooster booster dewormer for 3 days once a month. I have seen no evidence of worms in the feces. I treated Waffles with a few drops of ivermectin before I started the Corid. I am encouraged by the initial response to the corid, as well.

Here are some fun poo pics, both taken today. These say cocci to me, not worms.

You don't normally see worms in the poo except after worming. What they are finding in the fecal exams are eggs. Perhaps you can find a local vet who does fecal floats at a reasonable price, reasonable here is $16.

@estamets , go to Tractor Supply, get some Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) and give your birds 0.23ml per pound by mouth for five consecutive days. That will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possibly some species of tapeworms.

Wazine will only kill roundworms, and that's only if they drink enough of the medicated water.

Note that I'm not saying that your birds have worms... many things can cause poop like that, but worms can be treated, so why not rule them out, right?

This is a bird vet near you:
http://www.thebirdclinic.com/

I doubt they'll look at just the poop, so you'd have to pay for an office visit/exam ($45-$65), fecal ($20-$35), gram stain ($30-$40), plus medications.

-Kathy

Last edited:
@estamets
 , go to Tractor Supply, get some Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) and give your birds 0.23ml per pound by mouth for five consecutive days. That will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possibly some species of tapeworms.

Wazine will only kill roundworms, and that's only if they drink enough of the medicated water.

Note that I'm not saying that your birds have worms... many things can cause poop like that, but worms can be treated, so why not rule them out, right?

This is a bird vet near you:
http://www.thebirdclinic.com/

I doubt they'll look at just the poop, so you'd have to pay for an office visit/exam ($45-$65), fecal ($20-$35), gram stain ($30-$40), plus medications.

-Kathy
Thank you!

Quote: It won't hurt them. Did you say you have the liquid or the powder? If you have the liquid you can also give it as a drench. Dose to shoot for is undiluted Corid at 0.1ml per pound. You could try that for a couple of days and see if that helps.

Safeguard and Corid *can* be used together.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom