Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
Thanks. When I started treating them originally I did have it tested. It did test positive for coccidiosis. Should I have them do it again to make sure it's gone and also to check for the other possibilities.
Yes, have them tested again, but this time also have them check for bacteria and yeast, which is a different test.

-Kathy

Sorry to do this you guys, but this thread is kind of overwhelming me.
Can you please let me know what the correct preventative dose of Corid liquid 9.6% is if I'm putting it in food (for example, on bread)?
For a full grown male (for example, Peggy
big_smile.png
)?

Thank you!!!!

Can you please let me know what the correct preventative dose of Corid liquid 9.6% is if I'm putting it in food (for example, on bread)?
For a full grown male (for example, Peggy
big_smile.png
)?

Thank you!!!!
The only way to get an accurate dosing is to mix a full batch (or scale down to a partial batch), then use that liquid to saturate or dampen the food.

When I treated my flock, I mixed a half gallon (no way I'd use a gallon in a day for only 9 chicks), and dampened the chick crumbles with the mixed liquid in addition to replacing their water with the liquid.

In your case, use 1/2 teaspoon of liquid to a gallon of water, or 1/4 teaspoon to a half gallon of water, and use that on whatever you're giving the birds.

For a full grown male (for example, Peggy :D )?

Thank you!!!!

The amount you need for the preventative dose would be 5mg/kg. How much does he weigh?

Math is weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 5, divide by 96.
13.2 pounds (6kg) / 2.2 x 5 / 96 = 0.6875 ml
8.8 pound (4kg) / 2.2 x 5 / 96 = 0.208 ml

Does that help?

-Kathy

Thanks @casportpony ! Of course that helps!

I don't have the capacity to weigh him at the moment, but he is, in my experience, an average 4-year-old male...what would you guess?
In theory, then, can I just put 0.2ml of Corid liquid (for example) on a piece of bread and give it to him?
And how forgiving is the dosage, since we're talking about such a small volume? Is is dangerous if he gets 0.4ml?

(Since he's in his foster home at the moment, it's really impossible for me to have complete control over the food and water available to him, so I'm trying to think of alternative methods here...)

Kathy, thanks to your help on a couple of other threads, which I can't find now, my 14 chicks recovered very well from severe coccidiosis.

I hope this is not off topic, but I've read some controversy among kennel owners about whether their dogs got sick with coccidiosis from lots of birds pooping in their yard, or even from chickens. I know that vets say dogs can't get sick from chicken cocci.

I had mentioned on the other thread that I was afraid my nine 8-month-old puppies were also getting sick with cocci due to our many thunderstorms, heat, humidity, and warm mud everywhere. And even though dogs shouldn't be affected by the same cocci that makes chickens sick, I did see some pudding poops, then mucousy pudding poops, then progressing to some blood in the poops, quickly followed by lots of bloody mucous poops full of the grass they were eating to clean put their systems.

By that time I had started adding 20% Corid powder to the pups' water. I kept watch for signs of dehydration & used a large syringe to give medicated water to any pups who needed more hydration.

I'm not good at dosage math like you are, Kathy, so after wracking my brains & lots of Googling, I struggled with the math and came up with 1-3/4 Tablespoons of 20% Corid powder per each 2 Gallon bucket of water. The nine pups average 40 to 50 lbs each, and I was aiming for 250 to 300 mg of Corid per pup per day based on the advice of a dog rescue. They collectively drink 3 to 4 Gallons of water per day, usually 4. I felt very insecure about the math, but couldn't get help with it. They did improve, started drinking and eating more, and the lethargy subsided. I did this dosage for at least three days until I got paid again and bought liquid Corid.

I found smaller 16 oz bottles of liquid 9.6% Corid for $16.00 plus tax. The dosing is much easier with the 9.6% liquid. According to a dog rescue, it's 30 ml of 9.6% Corid solution per gallon of water. I've also read 1 cc per 5 lbs of dog for 21 days.

Years ago I treated a 6 week old puppy, who was deathly ill of coccidiosis, with Albon and IV fluids under vet supervision, but I've read that there are now problems with some cocci being resistant to Albon, so I didn't want to risk it and went with the Corid instead.

Anyway, about three days ago, I also started them on Safeguard Goat fenbendazole at 1 ml / cc per 5 lbs of dog for five days because they likely also have giardia. Coccidiosis and giardia can look the same in dogs, and they can have both at the same time, or one can be mistaken for the other.

Some people spend over $1,000 on the vet for just one diarrhea dog trying to diagnose and treat for either cocci or giardia with sulfa drugs, so people with kennels or lots of dogs usually can't afford the vet for an outbreak of diarrhea, but it's good if you can. I've always been able to cure diarrhea quickly in my dogs, who very rarely got it.

I've never had to deal with this kind of nightmare before, even with my previous seven dogs who have all passed on from old age within the past couple of years.

So...day 13...The pups' poop had improved a lot, still soft but no blood or mucous, and I gave them the Safeguard before feeding their breakfast. It killed their appetites, so I decided to wait and not feed, and see how they'd feel later on.

A dog breeder had recommended 10 days of Corid, then 3 days of Safeguard, which always worked for him, so I stopped the Corid since they'd had it for at least 13 days already. BIG MISTAKE! That afternoon I found many puddles of mucous and blood with grass in it, so as soon as I found out you can give Corid and fenbendazole simultaneously, I immediately put the Corid in their water and it stopped the bloody mucous poops.

Re the liquid Corid, I've read to treat for 10 days, 21 days, and 28 days for dogs, and I will feel safer going the full 28 days.

I'm also doing five days of Safeguard for giardia, as opposed to the usual three days for worms.

When I worked with horses, vets would freely give me all the tips on treating my animals very cheaply from the farm supply, but since I'm retired and in another state, and on a fixed income, they won't tell me anything. If I owned a horse farm or a big breeding kennel, the vets would share their tips. That's how it goes.

I've been very scared for these pups. They've improved a lot after at least 16 days of Corid, including three days so far of Safeguard fenbendazole. Now I'm seeing some solid log stools, and some combo poops of both solid log and soft, and some cowpies, but no blood or mucous.

I cannot separate the pups because I don't have nine crates or nine dog runs. I keep picking up all poop in their fenced yard, and disinfected the dirt floor of their 200 square foot kennel with lots of ammonia water. They're not in the kennel much, just an hour or two in the evening so I can finish some work on the second chicken coop, and the dirt floor gets direct sun most of the day, which I believe kills the protozoa.

Yes, I do take my dogs to the vet as a general rule, but my situation has changed so that I can't take nine puppies in, and buying all these meds is taking every penny I have. I've never had to deal with this mass outbreak of disease before. I don't know for sure if acquiring chickens had anything to do with it, since I've allowed them to free range in the same fenced yard the pups use.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

And, yes, my plan is to carefully find permanent loving homes for most of these puppies, if possible, but I can't put them for adoption while they're sick, and I want them to be better trained and settled before going to new homes. I took in a young starving female who was dumped in the country, and that's how I ended up with her and her pups. She's not sick because she doesn't hang out in the pup yard, since they overwhelm her.

So sorry for the long post, but I hope it will help someone else too.

Oops, I have so much anxiety I forgot to ask my questions:

My budget is very tight after buying meds, etc. I'm not sure the store will have another 16 oz bottle of Corid. Can you help me figure out for sure the correct dosage using the 20% powder? Will a pack of powder go further than a 16 oz bottle of liquid? I wish I could buy the gallon size of Corid liquid, but I don't think I can. Will double check my money situation to make sure. I could cry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom