Updated - Corid and Amprol (amprolium) Dosing

Pics
I just got sulmet. Should I give it to my juveniles? They are not dieing but occasionally I do see the yawning and liquid coming out of their beaks. They are also growing very slow. 22 weeks lf, and looks like 3 month old.

I just got sulmet. Should I give it to my juveniles? They are not dieing but occasionally I do see the yawning and liquid coming out of their beaks. They are also growing very slow. 22 weeks lf, and looks like 3 month old.

You could try using it. Can you take one to a vet?

-Kathy

Wanted to ask for opinions about peachicks and amprolium. I'll bump this thread rather than start a new one.

Typically, we start peachicks on a medicated starter containing amprolium to head off coccidia, which can be fatal to peababies. For adults, we typically medicate the water at the doses that @casportpony has so thoughtfully spelled out for us.

What got me thinking was that I am currently having difficulty finding a medicated feed that I like. I'm wondering about providing the amprolium the chicks need via the water dose. Some questions:

Has anyone (Kathy? anyone?) calculated how the preventative water dose of amprolium compares to the amount of amprolium that a peachick would ingest through eating a medicated chick starter?

Does anyone think that using medicated amprolium water rather than medicated feed will result in enough of a diminished fluid intake that it will adversely affect the peachicks' development or health?

Would this be a viable alternative to medicated starter feeds?

Thanks!

My adults get 0.70 ml per day orally in their mash for five days. It definitely worked as observed by fecal float exam.

For chicks, I use a 16% medicated chick starter and add egg either hard boiled and blended in with a blender or raw and hand mixed into the feed. It also makes a great hand feed for getting them tamed down.

One could probably use medicated water instead of medicated feed as a preventative, but you would have to know how much a chick eats and drinks per day. I think most feeds are medicated at 0.012%? I'm gonna guess that a chick eats 5% of it's body weight per day. How much do they drink? One of my books says that chicken chicks drink 18-20% of their weight per day, but not sure how true that is.

The preventative dose for cattle is 0.06% per gallon I think.

-Kathy

Last edited:
One could probably use medicated water instead of medicated feed as a preventative, but you would have to know how much a chick eats and drinks per day. I think most feeds are medicated at 0.012%? I'm gonna guess that a chick eats 5% of it's body weight per day. How much do they drink? One of my books says that chicken chicks drink 18-20% of their weight per day, but not sure how true that is.

-Kathy

Was contemplating whether using the preventative dose...

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

(quantities per gallon)

Might that be enough if used in the chick water? That would give me more flexibility on the starter crumble... haven't been able to find a medicated gamebird starter locally. They definitely drink a lot of water keeping up with all that starter crumble that they are chowing down.

Something else @casportpony said the other day also got me thinking... I needed to dilute some Baytril for oral use, and Kathy reminded me to use distilled water as the calcium content in the water can bind the medicine. Now I'm wondering if I should use distilled water when I mix the Corid solution for the birds?

-Kathy

Was contemplating whether using the preventative dose...

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

(quantities per gallon)

Might that be enough if used in the chick water?  That would give me more flexibility on the starter crumble... haven't been able to find a medicated gamebird starter locally.  They definitely drink a lot of water keeping up with all that starter crumble that they are chowing down.

Something else @casportpony
said the other day also got me thinking... I needed to dilute some Baytril for oral use, and Kathy reminded me to use distilled water as the calcium content in the water can bind the medicine.  Now I'm wondering if I should use distilled water when I mix the Corid solution for the birds?

Google distilled water for birds, I think I read it's not recommended as drinking water. RO water maybe?

-Kathy

So what do you think about the preventative dose in water? Also, I notice the dose for cattle and birds differs by a factor of x10... Is that intentional? Or did a decimal place escape in the keyboard?
gig.gif
(It could happen to me at any time...)

Back
Top Bottom