Upgrading Coop

Madie'sOddFlock

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2018
Maine
I titled this oddly, but it was the best I could think of.
I have 1 rooster who will remain with the larger flock of 40 hens in the big coop for at least a while longer, so I don't need to worry about him. But I have 11 pullets(1 possible cockerel) of about 3.5 weeks age that I need to secure a coop for. I'm trying to go the cheapest route possible, which I realize sounds horrible, but I'm just starting out and I'm doing it the hard way by cutting corners now. I'm short on money and my budget is about $200. I figure I can either find a way to repurpose the old dog house that we just replaced, build one totally on my own, or buy one. But buying something of the appropriate size is way over the budget, and building one has been... doubted. What I'm also thinking of doing is starting with a small coop this year and expanding next year.
Long story short... HELP!

Where are you located? I would use the doghouse. Depending on how it's made consider raising it up off the ground with 4x4's. If you need more height so the chicks can roost consider knocking out the floor. Make sure you have really good ventilation, does it have a ridge like a house?

Where are you located? I would use the doghouse. Depending on how it's made consider raising it up off the ground with 4x4's. If you need more height so the chicks can roost consider knocking out the floor. Make sure you have really good ventilation, does it have a ridge like a house?
I'm in Maine, so whatever I do definitely needs to be winter hardy. I probably will raise it off the ground simply so it's tall enough to see in the snow. It should be tall enough for at least one roost. I can work on ventilation since I have to replace the roof anyway. And no it doesn't have a ridge, just one slant.

6sq ft is a bit tight for 11 chickens(when grown), especially in cold climate. Can you provide a pic? Maybe it can be modified to save money?

I would build your own.

If you are looking at BYC on your phone... hold the phone sideways and under my picture a link will pop up... click on that and it will take you to my big coop page... I paid money for my big coop... but it might give you some ideas.

On that same coop page are links to my small coops, my bantam coop, and my article on building a cold weather coop. The bantam coop I built for free, my duck coop which is on my small coop page, cost me maybe 8 dollars. Both of them are nice and large, and within your budget. ;)

My bantam coop is pretty predator proof... not perfect, but pretty darn close.

By the way .... I am NOT good at building... can't cut a straight line to save my life. :old All of those coops are several years old now... they are still holding up.

Back
Top Bottom