Urgent dog advice needed.

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
My mother in law just called here crying. Her 14+ year old dog (got from a shelter as a pup 14years ago). Started acting strangely. Spinning in a circle to the left. Appears suddenly bling in left eye. Staggering gait.

Dog is some mix of shepherd maybe, looks like a very tiny german shepherd but only weights maybe 40lbs. Until this happened about 15mins ago, the dog at 14 has always had the energy of a pup. I believe she may be part sheltie. Nipper is up to date on all shots and always current with heartworm meds and flea treatments.

Any ideas of what may be going on, I know strokes are rare in dogs, but thought this might be the problem.

She will be seeking vet care in th morning. She is on a fixed income due to the loss of my father in law from cancer a few years a go and then her battle with colon cancer. She is elderly. She cares very much for her dog but can't afford the additional 150.00 just to walk in the door for an off hr vet visit( we have no after hrs clinic, you page the vet at home they will meet you at the clinic, but you pay for it),

Nipper does not appear in pain, could not have ingested any poison nor been struck by a car or have had any other unnoticed trauma (strictly in doors or out on a leash).

No recent change in eating or activity, Nipper did lose control of her bowels. SHe was sleeping, got off the couch and then this began.

Any ideas what may be going on with nipper?

It sounds like it could be a stroke. I don't know of anything she can do other than keep her comfortable and take her to the vet ASAP.

I hope that she will be Ok.
hugs.gif

Our 13 year old hound had a stroke 2 years ago. It took him a couple of months to get over it. They can recover.
fl.gif

I sending prayers also.
hugs.gif

I would guess seizure or stroke...
When my dog had seizures she went in circles like that...
Sorry..
sad.png

It doesn't sound good for poor Nipper, my mother in law is devastated, she almost can't talk over the tears. wondering if its the type of food shes been feeding her (Nipper has a corn allergy and has been on grain free food for the better part of her life, Carol recently switched her to a less expensive grain free food...Still expensive though as most grain free foods are) I spent the better part of the last 20 mins explaining that, that is not the problem, and for her not to feel guilty. She wants to take her to the vet, but from what she described Nipper is very peacefully on her way out right now. I don't think a vet could do anything for her, if it was a stroke it was a massive one she is laying there as if asleep with shallow breathing, best to avoid the financial strain on her and as long as Nipper remains p[ain free allow her to die peacfully at home.

Back
Top Bottom