URGENT!!!! Graphic pics included

I have been searching for threads about traumatic injuries to wings with bones exposed, and it seems quite a few survive this type of injury.

I'd like to see those threads. Cause there's a world of difference between "exposed bone" and "absolutely shredded", and the medically fascinated part of me is curious as to where those survivors lie.

For example, the split tendons here will never heal without surgery. My sister tore a tendon in her ankle (similar area) and it took her 6 months and a surgery to recover. The tissue on this wing isn't just damaged - it's GONE and it won't grow back.
On the other hand I was reading about a marathon runner that split their chin (they fell and the tissue scraped away) with lots of exposed bone and got treatment that healed in a couple months with wet grafts and no pain killers.

It's how severe the injury is that makes me think there's no recovery without amputation. And if there's no recovery keeping the bird alive is just plain cruel.

That's fascinating. I don't think I would try it, but I'm also firmly of the opinion that a good death is better than suffering through such a terrible wound, especially for animals like chickens who don't really know what's going on.

Still it's suuuuper interesting to see someone had done this operation at home and the chicken lived through it.

They did still amputate though.

So sorry for your chicken and for you. I would not know what to do either and would be frantic. The options offered seem wise yet difficult at best. My sincerest sympathies.

With a heavy heart, we went ahead and put poor Bubbles down. It was the best thing for him.

I'm sorry you had to face that.
I have also put down a chicken I did not think that I could properly treat, and felt that a quick ending was the best thing to do.
My farm economics and personal belief does not allow for expensive treatment that likely will not return an animal to a quality of life state. This poor chicken would have been one of those situations.
Friend, pet, meat, or livestock, I think you made the right choice with this bird.

Back
Top Bottom