urgh!

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Im really wanting to get 2 welsummers after the winter but i need a broody! ive had 2 before and i love them one went broody every year and was good i couldnt get my hand under her because when she pecks me she draws blood, my other option in orpington but im not keen because when ive previously had them they were about 2 and i only god about 60 eggs a year, soo what should i do?!

If you want a broody, get a Silkie!
wink.png

no i dont really want a silkie because just before winter a predetor comes and she will have to be fast to get away and apparentley silkies arnt aware of things coming

If you want a good mother, I would recommend a standard sized Game hen. They're not terribly personable with humans, but really good mommies.

are they just called game hens of do they actually have different breeds?

well ii always look in the local paper for hens and the common breeds i see in are orpingotns, sussex, welsummer, silkies and hybrids i could get 2 free opingtons of a chicken breeder i live close to but i just want welsummers so badly, what i might do is buy 2 welsummers and swap one with my friend for her broody light sussex but just a thaught dont know yet, and id like some wich will try fight my hens so they arnt automatically the bottom i want to know they actually deserve to be there

The full name of the breed is Standard Old English Game. They come in lots of different colors, and are VERY good at surviving. Like I said, they're not known for being cuddly with people, but you can't beat them if you are looking for a self-reliant breed that is good at raising chicks.

here's a good site for an overview. They come in a whole rainbow of colors

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/BRKGames.html

Back
Top Bottom