Using shed for chicken coop. Need layout ideas

I built this coop & run, by modifying shed & coop plains from www.myoutdoorplans.com and the door within a door from YouTube. I’d find shelf’s and doors on the side or the road and used them for my laying boxes and interior door. The laying boxes are 2 shelves built into removable boxes for cleaning them and the coop, then used dog ear fence boards to make a partition to separate the chickens from flying into the storage area. I used scrap tree limb’s to make the roost which is 5ft wide, 3 ft high, and 3 1/2ft deep.
Wow this is awesome!!!

nice shed!! Thats gonna make a fantastic coop! The number one thing i would be thinking and asking is; where to start cutting holes for ventilation. Everything else is easy and you'll probably change your mind; but you can think all those small details through while you are adding ventilation. Whereever you cut holes can be covered with hardware cloth to keep everything OUT, and chickens in! I wish you the best on your chicken journey. 🐓❤️
Thank you

I have a pretty good idea where I’m going to have my husband cut holes but I’m also very scared of him cutting too many. Stay tuned haha!! 🤣

My coop is a 6'x8' shed that we modified. Here is the evolution of my coop.

1. Basic nesting boxes, a couple of roosts in the corner, suspended feeder, waterer (can't see in this shot).
View attachment 3440068
2. We built an 8'x8'x4' fully enclosed run.
View attachment 3440069
3. Upgraded nesting boxes after a year (and a few more birds).
View attachment 3440070
4. Upgraded roosts and added a "poo shelf" to maximize floor space.
View attachment 3440072
View attachment 3440076
View attachment 3440077
5. New run - 9.5'x12'x6' with shade and exterior human door.
View attachment 3440079

I hope that's at least a little bit helpful. Best wishes!
This is really awesome I love the natural branches used and everything !!

I think you mentioned getting 15 chicks. For that many, you would need more than one of the PVC pipe feeders.

The big hanging tube feeders can be really good too. In general, the deeper the trough, the more effective it is at preventing waste. When they get scaled down to a cute little size for just a few chickens, the wastage goes up.
I was going to try and do hanging feeders and wateres. I do like the pvc so that can possible be something to make for the outdoor run

outdoor run progress

Attachments

• A354856E-4463-4449-B805-FAC188B2348D.jpeg
    A354856E-4463-4449-B805-FAC188B2348D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Update: all stores within 50 miles are sold out of the black jack 57. Having it delivered will cost double. I looked into the vinyl stick ons and surprise surprise! Only 36 tiles 12x24inches available within 50miles. Okay, so I am going to stick and peel the 36 specifically under their Roosting perch area, then I am going to get porch paint and do the rest of the shed. I figure I’ll go that route this year and see how things pan out, then for next year update/upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom