Using shed for chicken coop. Need layout ideas

Update: all stores within 50 miles are sold out of the black jack 57. Having it delivered will cost double. I looked into the vinyl stick ons and surprise surprise! Only 36 tiles 12x24inches available within 50miles. Okay, so I am going to stick and peel the 36 specifically under their Roosting perch area, then I am going to get porch paint and do the rest of the shed. I figure I’ll go that route this year and see how things pan out, then for next year update/upgrade.
If you keep a good layer of bedding in there, porch paint would probably be fine everywhere. I actually have bare wood in my winter coop and after four months in there, when they move out in the spring and I clean, that’s the cleanest floor in my barn. Of course that’s not saying a lot since a barn floor is a pretty grungy thing! But seriously, my 2x8 rough sawn floor stays clean with several inches of bedding and no paint.

Also, somebody actually posted on this board not too long ago to say that they were not impressed with the blackjack 57 and wished they had just gone with porch paint as it would have been a lot cheaper and easier to apply.

If you keep a good layer of bedding in there, porch paint would probably be fine everywhere. I actually have bare wood in my winter coop and after four months in there, when they move out in the spring and I clean, that’s the cleanest floor in my barn. Of course that’s not saying a lot since a barn floor is a pretty grungy thing! But seriously, my 2x8 rough sawn floor stays clean with several inches of bedding and no paint.

Also, somebody actually posted on this board not too long ago to say that they were not impressed with the blackjack 57 and wished they had just gone with porch paint as it would have been a lot cheaper and easier to apply.
Thank you! Is there any specific porch paint brand you could recommend?

Thank you! Is there any specific porch paint brand you could recommend?
Sorry, no, I was just repeating what I had recently read. but they are made to be tough, to be walked on, so I would expect a major brand to perform suitably.

I actually have done some thing a little odd where I have wanted to finish utility wood floors. We have a whole bunch of decades-old 5-gallon buckets of green latex driveway sealer in our cellar. My dad got it probably 30+ years ago for the tennis court here, but it was was never applied & the court fell into disuse (& I hope to turn it into a horse riding ring). I applied it generously in my pigeon aviary and more recently in our llama run-in shed and it seems to be holding up fine. If I had a standalone floored chicken coop I would probably use it in there, too, but my winter coop is inside the barn with floorboards that continue under the coop wall across my work space and I don’t want to mark them. Our summer coup is a tractor which has no floor.

Sorry, no, I was just repeating what I had recently read. but they are made to be tough, to be walked on, so I would expect a major brand to perform suitably.

I actually have done some thing a little odd where I have wanted to finish utility wood floors. We have a whole bunch of decades-old 5-gallon buckets of green latex driveway sealer in our cellar. My dad got it probably 30+ years ago for the tennis court here, but it was was never applied & the court fell into disuse (& I hope to turn it into a horse riding ring). I applied it generously in my pigeon aviary and more recently in our llama run-in shed and it seems to be holding up fine. If I had a standalone floored chicken coop I would probably use it in there, too, but my winter coop is inside the barn with floorboards that continue under the coop wall across my work space and I don’t want to mark them. Our summer coup is a tractor which has no floor.
It’s okay! I’m going today to return the stick and peels and then buy the porch paint. I honestly wasn’t thinking. 🤣

Ooo that’s awesome to be reusing material and stuff!!! I hope next year I can do the black jack but ya know maybe the porch paint will work fine

Oh that’s awesome a tractor coop. You can move those around right?

It’s okay! I’m going today to return the stick and peels and then buy the porch paint. I honestly wasn’t thinking. 🤣

Ooo that’s awesome to be reusing material and stuff!!! I hope next year I can do the black jack but ya know maybe the porch paint will work fine

Oh that’s awesome a tractor coop. You can move those around right?
Yes, though so far we have ended up leaving it in place for the summer (two so far) in the once and (I hope) future vegetable garden. They’ve done a good job of clearing out the weeds that were starting to take root and mixing in any organics we throw in.

This tractor is too small to be a run for the number of chickens we have (5 to 6) but works well as a coop and we have 100’ of poultry netting to make a run around it. It’s a low hoop coop that some neighbors had built but abandoned when a bear ripped into it. When we got chicks they gave it to us and we rehabbed it. Our dog and the electrified poultry net keep bears away from it.

IMG_3019.jpeg

(It doesn’t currently look like a garden because I have parked some shrubs there that should be moved elsewhere in the yard eventually, or in the case of the large one will be cut out as I have taken rooted branches to be used in landscaping.)

Last edited:
I hope next year I can do the black jack but ya know maybe the porch paint will work fine
If the porch paint works for you don't plan on switching to Black Jack, I don't think it will adhere to existing paint so you'd have to scrape it clean. Plus it requires a longer cure time than paint. I think some folks have managed to put their chickens on it the same day they applied a coat by putting bedding on top, but it really would be best to let it sit, cure, apply second coat, repeat.

Chicken run progress

Almost done. I have to rebuild the door, it is very sad looking and not sturdy at all.
Have to screw in and fasten a couple more things, add the roostin perch’s and just hang their food and waterers

On a time crunch here, been working day and night through the storms and all to get this done
The chickens are huge and probably can only sustain one more week in their brooding area before I HAVE to put them outside

Edit: I’ve never built a day in my life so please excuse the crookedness :(

Attachments

• 55F51176-DCCF-40A8-8353-EB8D802E436C.jpeg
    55F51176-DCCF-40A8-8353-EB8D802E436C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom