usps rates increase again

The Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act (PAEA), of 2006, is the problem. If the borrowing the USPS has had to to do to meet the ridiculous requirements of the law (pre-fund 75 years worth of healthcare benefits for future retirees within a 10-year period while prohibiting the USPS from raising postage rates to pay for the pre-funding - costs 5.5 billion a year) is subtracted from the overhead - the Postal Service has actually been turning a profit, for a few years, now. No other government agency or private business has ever required this sort of prefunding over so short a period of time. The prefunding provision accounts for 80% of the Postal Service losses.

Certain members of Congress, who were the most adamant about killing the Postal Service, are also the first in line to request changes to the names of Post Offices when their constituents beg (pay).
No mail on Saturday - look to machinations in Congress.

Quote:
not in all instances, my mother was younger than my father, and she had a job with health insurance and for some reason her insurance was his primary and medicare was secondary. the paperwork was a nightmare because everyone at doctors offices and hospitals was geared to do it in reverse, it may have had something to do with my dad getting disability before his social security at 65, but whatever the reason his was secondary until my mom's job ended, along with the insurance....

We we're glad to hear about the Saturday shut-down. The price still seems to be somewhat less the UPS or FedEx, don't know how long that can last though. Giving away free boxes kinds seems like a money pit to me. They require you to use them for shipping priority or express but I'm sure not all the boxes are being used for this purpose. I'm sure will see more price increases in the future or other substantial changes.

We we're glad to hear about the Saturday shut-down. The price still seems to be somewhat less the UPS or FedEx, don't know how long that can last though. Giving away free boxes kinds seems like a money pit to me. They require you to use them for shipping priority or express but I'm sure not all the boxes are being used for this purpose. I'm sure will see more price increases in the future or other substantial changes.

But Congress wont let them stop Saturday delivery.

It would seem in their wisdom Congress has decided to make the postal service keep Saturday delivery.

http://news.yahoo.com/congress-set-force-postal-keep-saturday-delivery-144607874--finance.html

I stand firm if they close one more day a week it should be Mondays just because it seems the Post Office and local state and federal government take off for any excuse on Mondays. I mean Columbus day? or even Arbor day? maybe the next Monday holiday will be love your civil servant day....

They do get Columbus day off, but not the day after Thanksgiving, it's a trade, not an addition. And I never got Arbor day off when I worked for the VA. MLK day you are strongly encouraged to spend the day volunteering, although that may be a local thing.

Back
Top Bottom