Utah!

Melisa, I only like mine to free range when there's someone home that can babysit the chickens, only because I don't trust predators. We have dogs running around, a hawk, and some creepy people around here. I actually caught a group of teens chasing and harassing one of my hens this year and had to confront them to keep her safe
somad.gif
I think I probably make the dangers sound worse than they are, but it's my preference to keep my birds penned because I'm a paranoid nut.

Had two more goes and the turkey yesterday. I just don't have the time to go after her, since I'm working in the afternoon and that's the prime time to find and catch her. And, I need about ten more of myself to be able to do anything effective. I'm feeling really discouraged because I think Animal Control may be the only way to catch her, but there's a good chance that if they find out about my birds, they'll take them all away and I'll be fined. I'm just tired of this.

Let us know if we need to come help ypu. Can't climb but can would make a good herder help. Just let us know

What do you guys all use to heat water? I bought a metal water fountain and just got my Farm Innovators heated base, but it states not to use an extension cord, which I will need to use. And also where can I safely place it in the coop? I'm afraid that it could catch fire if straw or something falls on it. Any thoughts? Does anyone use this base? If not I will ship it back and get something else.

Thanks!

Melisa, I don't free range my chickens. Part of my yard isn't fenced, so they could theoretically go in the road, or a wandering dog could come back. Plus, I do see birds of prey nearly every day, and I have a couple of bantams. I just don't feel like it's safe where I'm at.

Water in winter: I have a submersible heater that I put in their bucket that works really well.

I candled my fbcm eggs today. Of the 6, five are definite yes. The one is a little iffy, but with those dark shells, it's definitely too soon to tell for sure (they're 5 days in).

We caught our rogue turkey!! I have some incredibly awesome, understanding people in my neighborhood, and thanks to them, we were able to figure out where the turkey was roosting tonight. I scared a poor little old lady by ringing her doorbell at 9:30 at night, and had it not been for the neighbor next door (whose yard I was combing) I wouldn't have been able to get in the elderly neighbor's yard. We found the turkey roosting 20 feet up in a big old pine tree. The neighbor pulled out a telescoping ladder, I climbed up the tree with a borrowed fishing net in hand (I do NOT like ladders!) and managed to scoop up the bird. Then I got her stuck in a branch fork when she jumped
he.gif
Spent several minutes trying to extract her while in a very precarious position, got pretty dizzy, and finally got her to the ground. I was afraid for a minute that I'd broken her neck, because she was in the net head-first, but she was okay. We thanked the neighbors and got her home, and that little booger that has made my heart so sick for the past five days is now safely confined in the chicken run, where I KNOW she can't get out. She is going to get her wings clipped, her leg banded, and I'm putting more netting on the turkey run.

What an answer to prayer! I have my baby back.

Melisa, I don't free range my chickens. Part of my yard isn't fenced, so they could theoretically go in the road, or a wandering dog could come back. Plus, I do see birds of prey nearly every day, and I have a couple of bantams. I just don't feel like it's safe where I'm at.

Water in winter: I have a submersible heater that I put in their bucket that works really well.

I candled my fbcm eggs today. Of the 6, five are definite yes. The one is a little iffy, but with those dark shells, it's definitely too soon to tell for sure (they're 5 days in).

Good news! Can't wait to see babies on here again.

Yeah! Glad turkey turned up.

For those who don't want to process their own birds, Utah Natural Meats does ours. $5 chicken, $10 turkey, $15 waterfowl. Worth it not to have to wrestle the birds. They are in West Jordan near Jordan Landing.

Back
Top Bottom