Utah!

Silly--Yes the Houdans lay true white like the leghorn eggs, they are a little strange to get started,Out of the four that I have, I had one start laying right at 5 months, 1 at 5 1/2 months, 1 many weeks later than that--sometime around Thanksgiving I think (8 months) and the last one started in January (10 months!) Not very consistent, but the two that laid the first eggs have laid all winter, and I have gotten four eggs a day out of that pen for quite a few days in a row, so I think they lay pretty well after the old engine gets going. :D

Last edited:
My girls are loving the sunshine today, it is 60 degrees, Woot!

Here is what i just brought in!

Some of the pretty colors.

I have a FBCM named MAVIS I hatched from DMRippy that lays these....they are so round and big, not even ovals at all. Ouch.

What in the world do you do with all of your eggs? My girls are also all laying. But I only have 5 layers right now. And, I am selling three doz. a week. Well, I get six, how can I not count my Charlies eggs? She has been laying all through the winter. Can't believe she hasn't gone broody. She is my sweet black cochin. My DH loves her too. Such a cute little voice.

I get so jealous of you guys! xD Looking forward to my chicks to arrive in three months. I await the day I can live on my own and live somewhere where I'm allowed to have more that 8 chickens.

Cynthia, I have an "egg route" and drop eggs off on Wed night at four different houses, and they leave money out for me. It helps pay for feed...neighbors come over and buy them too sometimes.. I only sell them for $2.50/dozen, but last month I got $95, and feed was $115, so it pays for my hobby mostly. Then I sell quail chicks, last summer I made $400, that paid for feed through most of the winter. And it paid for some hatching eggs this Spring.( I make a big fat loss hatching chicks though, by the time you pay for them and lose some through incubation, then rehome the free roosters, Ouch.!) Haha. You know what I mean. I need to get some roosters for sure. I am still tryiing to be brave. So my hobby is still costing me a little bit more than I wish :D

Cynthia, I have an "egg route" and drop eggs off on Wed night at four different houses, and they leave money out for me. It helps pay for feed...neighbors come over and buy them too sometimes.. I only sell them for $2.50/dozen, but last month I got $95, and feed was $115, so it pays for my hobby mostly. Then I sell quail chicks, last summer I made $400, that paid for feed through most of the winter. And it paid for some hatching eggs this Spring.( I make a big fat loss hatching chicks though, by the time you pay for them and lose some through incubation, then rehome the free roosters, Ouch.!) Haha. You know what I mean. I need to get some roosters for sure. I am still tryiing to be brave. So my hobby is still costing me a little bit more than I wish
big_smile.png

You sell your eggs for that much? I am thinking it's time that I upped my price..it's been a while since I have. I sell mine for $1.50 a doz. I also put the money into an envelope, to save for feed. That's the way to go. Put those pretty eggs in a carton to admire for a while, then sell them. I still have plenty to eat here. Scott doesn't care for eggs, but of course, if it's used in cooking, that's different. Yes, alas..the hatching cost.
hmm.png

Still fun, keeps me happy. As long as I can keep up with it.
In fact, I have a lonely NN that I had to help out this morning. Hoping it makes it. It's the very color I wanted from this guys eggs. He was so nice when he found out how long the eggs had been out, and that two were broken when they got here, that he reimburse me some money on my paypal. What? Now, if that happened more often, I just might get half way caught up with cost.
wink.png

Oh, I asked Brandi if it was her that bought Karen's chicks, she said no. I wondered, Brandi doesn't have that much land. :)

Hi Utahns. I live in the Ogden area. Is there anyone looking to sell or give away a rooster. I would like one of good quality. I am not to picky of breed as long as it is a standard size. :) I have son SLW, RIR, Australorps, White Leghorns, and one speckled sussex. I kinda have in mind to do a color project this year. Let me know if anyone has one!

Cynthia...I think i remember seeing sex links but didn't check the color. You could call them, they get chicks in every Friday. My Silkies are starting to lay.
yesss.gif
. Since i got rid of 6 of my larger hens and my rooster died i have decided to let my Silkie rooster run with the other chickens. He is loving life. I will give him a treat and he calls all his new girls over to eat. No as long as he will start to breed the Silkie hens i will be in business. Here is a couple pictures of the Silkies. I'm still looking for a couple more with beards and lots of head feathers.

This is Ratchet our rooster

This hen is named Bacon

This pullet is Dandelion

here is Ratchet and Dandelion together

And this is Twister.

oh and these are my little Cochins. So tiny for now until they grow to be 9 lbs.

Gary I just love your Silkies, I'm hoping to get at least 2 great looking pullets out of the 6 I have here. I will let you know when I know which ones we are keeping, won't be for a months. I want to try to make sure we keep the hen. If you decide to hatch out some chicks and you get a Splash, please keep me in mind, I would love to buy one. :D

You sell your eggs for that much?   I am thinking it's time that I upped my price..it's been a while since I have.  I sell mine for $1.50 a doz.  I also put the money into an envelope, to save for feed.   That's the way to go.  Put those pretty eggs in a carton to admire for a while, then sell them.  I still have plenty to eat here.  Scott doesn't care for eggs, but of course, if it's used in cooking, that's different.   Yes, alas..the hatching cost.   :/
Still fun, keeps me happy.  As long as I can keep up with it.
In fact, I have a lonely NN that I had to help out this morning.  Hoping it makes it.  It's the very color I wanted from this guys eggs.  He was so nice when he found out how long the eggs had been out, and that two were broken when they got here, that he reimburse me some money on my paypal.  What?  Now, if that happened more often, I just might get half way caught up with cost.  ;)
Oh, I asked Brandi if it was her that bought Karen's chicks, she said no.  I wondered, Brandi doesn't have that much land.   :)

Brandi texted me to see if I had pullets for sale today. Haha, made me wonder if she was stocking up!

There are two organic/local farms around here that sell their eggs for $4 and $4.5/dozen. So it makes mine look dirt cheap! People buy them all the time here from those two places at the farmer's market. It helps me out!

Yes, the hatching is fun, for sure. I am hoping I am done...famous last words....I am trying to get my bators available to start hatching quail chicks. There is a guy here locally that wants 250. That will take awhile! But I get to have fun hatching, then poof they are gone before they get stinky so it is easy entertainment for this gal here :lol:

Back
Top Bottom