Utah!

Can't wait to see! Are these chicks from your new roo?
The next batch due in 2 wks will have some from my new roo :) This one, and most from the next one are my last ones from shipped eggs. The eggs im collecting now are from mine :) I'll pop those in when these ones finish hatching. I cant wait to see what I get. I will take pics once these ones finish hatching :)

Oh sheez, you guys are making me want a fluffy Silkie.

Littlerockflowr, welcome! So very sorry for your loss. Chickens are wonderful therapy. Enjoy your babies :)

Lisa, I'm on the fence about keeping my still air. If I get chicks out of this hatch, I may just come talk to you about taking my bator.

Oop, forgot to say that Cal Ranch in Tooele didn't have chicks yet, as of yesterday. Bins were out, but it looks like they're still setting up. I did get a toy ball for the horses, however, so hey, consultation prize :)

Last edited:
Hi Krystal! Welcome :) I am new here as well, and am picking up my first 4 baby chicks in just a few hours. So I'm sharing your excitement :) Can't wait to hear how it goes for your family, we'll have to compare stories...

Best of luck!
Whitney

New here!  Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself.  I just picked up my first chicks yesterday and I'm so excited to raise them!  I've wanted backyard chicks for years, but my DH has always said 'No way!'.  Well, last month we had a little baby girl, who died shortly after birth due to a terminal disorder called Potter's Syndrome (no kidneys).  This occurred about 18 months after we had a son die from the same thing.  Needless to say, my nurturing instinct has been on MAJOR overdrive for almost 2 years now, with no baby to nurture! Having more babies is off the table, as the risk is too great to lose another.  We couldn't get another dog, as we learned the hard way that our current dog (who is getting on in years, has diabetes, and it mostly blind and we think partly deaf too) needs to be an only dog.  But I convinced my DH is give me a try with chickens!  

We picked up our 4 girls (i hope they're girls) yesterday and they're chirping away in the little brooder box I fashioned for them.  We have a Black Sexlink (my DS has named 'Blackie" already), a Buff Orpington (because my DD desperately wanted a yellow chick--She named her Mely), a Barred Rock, and a Silverlaced Wyandotte.  I'm hoping to get an Easter Egger too, but that might be a next year thing.  I think the most chickens I can have for my property size is 6.  Our family is down in the heart of Utah County.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell, excited to meet people and pick your brains as we're learning! 

-Krystal
Bless you heart! Hugs coming your way! Chickens do fill a place in the heart. I could spend literal hours watching mine. They are so fun, and (most;) have great personalities. Easter eggers are a blast, and I can't get enough of my Wyandottes.

Welcome to the BYC, Utah thread Krystal.

Had some snow today, and it was a tad cooler. When I opened the pop hatch today and the birds piled up to get free. There was a sudden change of heart, a few backed up and went back in side. You might say I have fair weather fowl… Then there were the turkeys. There is a clutch of five that hatched over by the creek, about 300 feet from my place and they think they live round my place. My small city is inundated with wild turkeys, just way too many. I have a photograph to share, if you like these type birds.

Perhaps Red will favor this view… I have extras should any of you like some.

Best to all and your chickens,

RJ

I need another still air bator, just checking first on here to see if anyone is selling a used one?? If not, off the CAL I go. No more stacking eggs in bators. As far as you know anyway

Can't help it Lisa..
lol.png
the thought even entered my brain today. But, I am down to one, and I am ok, I actually have one of Brandi's over here that I borrowed for the last hatch a long..and now, I will probably use it for this one. Not getting that many eggs, but I really like this one she let me borrow, styro..has a fan, but..this thing has plastic around the outside. I've never had a bator hold the humidity as well as this thing does! So, I will be putting them in there for lock down.

I need another still air bator, just checking first on here to see if anyone is selling a used one?? If not, off the CAL I go. No more stacking eggs in bators. As far as you know anyway

Can't help it Lisa..
lol.png
the thought even entered my brain today. But, I am down to one, and I am ok, I actually have one of Brandi's over here that I borrowed for the last hatch a long..and now, I will probably use it for this one. Not getting that many eggs, but I really like this one she let me borrow, styro..has a fan, but..this thing has plastic around the outside. I've never had a bator hold the humidity as well as this thing does! So, I will be putting them in there for lock down.
Right now my cal ranch has them for $30!!! I may just need one too!

Back
Top Bottom