Utah!

What do you cross to get white faces like that? I feel it needs to be an official thing.
I'd totally take one but they're too old to go with my brood and I can't make the journey to Idaho.
They are a cross between a blue wheaten ameraucana and a black tail buff marans. I'm single mating my black tail buff to improve my line so my ladies in waiting are kept in my ameraucana pen. I couldn't resist hatching some eggs to see how they turned out. The majority of the offspring look like this. I do have a black tail buff hen with only one copy of one dilution gene so her babies look like wheatens, but the rest are buff with white cheeks except for the males which get buff colored cheeks the same as their body color.

They are a cross between a blue wheaten ameraucana and a black tail buff marans. I'm single mating my black tail buff to improve my line so my ladies in waiting are kept in my ameraucana pen. I couldn't resist hatching some eggs to see how they turned out. The majority of the offspring look like this. I do have a black tail buff hen with only one copy of one dilution gene so her babies look like wheatens, but the rest are buff with white cheeks except for the males which get buff colored cheeks the same as their body color.

They are stunning little birds. Keep doing what you're doing and maybe I can get one from you someday.

So excited! 8 days left until our first hatch and we are starting on our coop extension today! :D Lisa, do your silkie/SG eggs tend to hatch a little earlier?

Yes ma'am they may start as early as day 18. Some not til 21 so don't worry if they are not early...I stop turning on day 17 because the ones with the really high skulls need a little more room to turn to the right position, I get lots of upside down pips if do it later :D

I am completely out of packing material for shipping eggs...I have some more of these SG.Silkie.Frizzle eggs if anyone wants them I have been selling them for $30 /dozen plus shipping, but anybody locally wanting some you can get lots and lots of extras if you want some right away. Or I need to go to Walgreens and get more bubble wrap lol!

My EE mother is a persnickity one. I moved her into the "broody nest", located in a dog kennel in the chicken coop. I've never had a hen reject it, until today. I opened the door so she could do her business, and dust bathe. She never went back, but instead reclaimed the nesting box! By the time I found the issue, the eggs were stone cold. My Wyandotte's so are predictable, so this is new and uncomfortable. Ha ha I can't let her brood in the nesting box, because she changes box every time a hen joins her to lay their daily egg. If she won't set in the kennel, I think I'll need to break her. I can't figure out how to keep other hens out of the nest she is currently on... Crazy girl.

Mwahahaha! Remember our discussion on snails? I went out in the yard last night to look for worms. I ended up finding a trove of snails. The ducks are still figuring out how to eat them, but it's fun to watch them try! I'll have to remember that the snails move a lot after rain.

Back
Top Bottom