Utah!

I was worried about what you edited out before I saw the post. :oops:  And then I started over thinking it. 

Thank you for the reply, I just wanted to clear it up. I love this Utah thread and want some real Ameraucana next sprint to make OEs with. 

I kept editing the explanation of the colors, I kept thinking it sounded confusing and wanted to explain it without too many words but enough words to make sense haha :D I am famous for writing novels in text messages, so I have to really try hard to use less words :lol:

I use my Wheatens for my some of my OE project as well. They give a deep green...and lay better than Ameraucanas for sure. Love the creamy puffy cheeked babies they are my favorite chicks. I won a CAL ranch picture contest with a picture of one, cool huh!

See I had to edit this already LOL!!!

Last edited:
Sid, if you ever want to see what was edited, I **think** you can still go to the profile page of the poster and look through their recent comments, I did not check just now but last time I checked the individual edits all show up as separate comments :D

I kept editing the explanation of the colors, I kept thinking it sounded confusing and wanted to explain it without too many words but enough words to make sense haha
big_smile.png
I am famous for writing novels in text messages, so I have to really try hard to use less words
lol.png

I use my Wheatens for my some of my OE project as well. They give a deep green...and lay better than Ameraucanas for sure. Love the creamy puffy cheeked babies they are my favorite chicks. I won a CAL ranch picture contest with a picture of one, cool huh!

See I had to edit this already LOL!!!
Than is cool!

I'm so confused about wheaten! I thought it was a breed of chicken, then I thought it was a color on chickens, not I'm not quite sure what it even is. Haha!

It is a standard color for several breeds--it is interesting because although it has blue and black, it is a golden allele based color... and the roos can make sexlinked babies with a barred birds such as your GCM or BR. (Just like the Marans---they have the black and blue but the copper is the golden allele :D) If that makes sense....:cd

ETA: All though to although haha :D

Last edited:
Sid--I think a lot of us refer to "Wheatens" when talking about wheaten ameraucanas, we probably confused you. I have a Wheaten Marans hen also. They sure are pretty! And did I say the chicks?? Oh my! Love.

It is a standard color for several breeds--it is interesting because although it has blue and black, it is a golden allele based color... and the roos can make sexlinked babies with a barred birds such as your GCM or BR. (Just like the Marans---they have the black and blue but the copper is the golden allele
big_smile.png
) If that makes sense....
D.gif

ETA: All though to although haha
big_smile.png
And black is supposed to be a silver based color right? I thought a fowl was either gold or silver based but not both?

I will have to read that chapter again in my poultry breeding book.

So you would put a Wheaton Ameraucana or a Wheaton Marans with a blue egg layer to get a good OE? I think I missed it on your first post. Or I could take the shortcut and ask you what hen would make the best OE chicks with a BCM?
smile.png

LOL
I did not think much of it at al!

I was just letting eggsbert know there was no doubt about that boy due to the plumage lol...also I helped chicken train some of that parent stock to Christina, so I was just letting you guys know they are the real deal
big_smile.png
Pawtraitart...
big_smile.png
Hope I did not come across as being chicken snobby lol. All is good, I honestly had to read your comment back to see what the fuss was, then I saw the EE part
gig.gif
Now I get it
big_smile.png

I have some of these in my garage...got 4 chicks from pawtraitart 6 weeks ago and I ended with 2 wheaten roos, 1 blue wheaten roo, and a blue wheaten girl. Look about the same age as these. Long way to drive for one girl, Boo! My luck though. They sure lay pretty eggs but girls are hard to get your hands on <3

Ouch! Sounds like my rotten luck! I drove down to Orem to get my trio and two look henny so I'm okay with that. I don't know if I'll even keep the both of them. We weren't prepared for so many large chickens our first year!
We'd intended on 2 bantams and 3 LF. Now I have 1 Salmon Fav (LF), 1 Cochin (Bantam), 2 Australorps (LF), and 2 Ameraucanas (LF). Then of course the tiny roo and the Ameraucana roo. So... 5 LF and 1 bantam? That is so not what we had in mind.

Sidenote: I didn't take offense to sideWing's post. I'm much too oblivious to notice most things and too laid back to care if I do.

And black is supposed to be a silver based color right? I thought a fowl was either gold or silver based but not both?

I will have to read that chapter again in my poultry breeding book.

So you would put a Wheaton Ameraucana or a Wheaton Marans with a blue egg layer to get a good OE? I think I missed it on your first post. Or I could take the shortcut and ask you what hen would make the best OE chicks with a BCM?
smile.png

Wheaten Ameraucanas lay blue eggs so a Wheaten Ameraucana and a Marans would make an OE. Right guys?

Our Blue-laced-red Wyandotte that was our broody for our chicks from Easter decided to go broody again, just 12 weeks later. Really?
he.gif
We won't be a push-over this time. no more chicks for you miss Chickula! We will have to break her. Tips?

I have a lot of toddler socks around my house since I have 3 yr old twins so I decided to try one out as a no crow collar. It's working for now! He crowed all morning yesterday and I haven't heard him crow again since I put the sock on.
smile.png
I also bought 2" Velcro to make a tighter collar if this one stops working.
Oh my goodness..this looks like the rooster that I just gave up. Have you had him since a chick, or just get him? :p

Back
Top Bottom