Utah!

I hate that I can't keep this Blue Langshan.He is such a love bird. My girls make more noise than a roo any day. He's 4 months old and stands 2 inches taller than my GJ. Here he is next to a 33 Oz water bottle.haha I'm getting all the snuggles in until he starts crowing.

Our Blue-laced-red Wyandotte that was our broody for our chicks from Easter decided to go broody again, just 12 weeks later. Really? :he  We won't be a push-over this time. no more chicks for you miss Chickula! We will have to break her. Tips?
gotta chill her underside and make her feel exposed. i find a wire bottom cage up off the ground works. when i did it i did it in my very secure run and covered the top with a feed bag. about a hour before a rain storm she snapped out of it lol. this was done with a leghorn i had years ago that was the most mean broody i have ever seen. my other broody girls have been nice and i have not felt the need to do it :)

Wow, that's unreal. He looks like my guy, I hatched him through an order of eggs of EE's. Pretty boy. I don't think my guy would have stayed on my arm like that though. Haven't heard of the sock idea..let us know how that works!

Sidewing and eggsbert--

Yes a Wheaten Marans roo over a Wheaten Ameraucana hen would make a fine OE.

I use my Blue Copper Marans Roo, with any of my blue egg layers, or light green even, and get nice F1 OE chicks.

This Spring to get my OE's I used several EE, Wheaten Ameraucanas, SBEL (My favorite because the chicks have that 1/4 leghorn in them and they lay great), and a black true Ameraucana. The Wheaten Am hens have OE babies that are pretty solid black or blue.

The SBEL's make mostly solid blue babies. Then If I use those F1 OE babies from SBEL hens after they start laying and breed them back to a Marans roo again to get F2 OE babies, they are usually white with specks Like SBELS! Cool! No idea why it works like that. Something to do with White being recessive then popping back up...someone said.

If you have the Wheaten Ameraucana Roo then the marans girls work for OE's, but the babies turn out more Wheaten looking if you like that look better! I got an OE from that mix last year from Mesha, she is beautiful, looks exactly like my blue wheaten AM hens, I can barely tell the difference.

So, I guess OE babies take after their daddy :D Mostly... :/

I am headed to San Pete county this weekend. I'm still on my search for an Easter Egger pullet. Somewhere between 6-8 weeks old so I can add it to my current flock of 6 week olds. I am almost positive one of my Tolbunt babies is a Roo, and I can't have one at my house, so I'm looking to get the EE in his place (even though I will miss him dearly).

If anyone has an EE Pullet near the area im headed, please let me know :)

gotta chill her underside and make her feel exposed. i find a wire bottom cage up off the ground works. when i did it i did it in my very secure run and covered the top with a feed bag. about a hour before a rain storm she snapped out of it lol. this was done with a leghorn i had years ago that was the most mean broody i have ever seen. my other broody girls have been nice and i have not felt the need to do it
smile.png

We have a dog kennel we can put over a window well. It will have a covered top. Would that work?

Back
Top Bottom