Utah!

So... this last month with all the rain, sogged and mucked up my run... I put grass clippings over it to help give more surface area for myself and the chickens s to walk on.... and now that it has stopped raining, and has heated up... it's just a smelly mess. I'm thinking of tilling it under, but other than moving the coop, and letting the run dry out, does anyone have any other advice? I don't have it set up for sand, it not deep enough. The top is drying, but just under the matted surface, it's just not composting.

Please keep in mind, I am at the very pregnant stage, so whatever needs to be done, I have to enlist my poor husband to endure the stench and heat.
Won't it dry up in a couple days? Or is it in the shade?

When do roos usually show their true colors? I have a barred rock that I am wondering about. Her/his comb is much redder than the other BR and is definitely dominant. I think it is about 5 weeks old. Any good tips to sort out the hens from the roos?
Got any pics?

When do roos usually show their true colors? I have a barred rock that I am wondering about. Her/his comb is much redder than the other BR and is definitely dominant. I think it is about 5 weeks old. Any good tips to sort out the hens from the roos?

I was wondering the same thing about mine that I had last month. My first one to stick around for a while. He was almost 6 months before he crowed, but started mounting the girls pretty quick after he started crowing. So for me, with an EE, 6 months.

Won't it dry up in a couple days? Or is it in the shade?
it's in the sun for a good part of the day... and I thought it would dry up as well... but it's been over half the month to dry out... and I just tried raking it (thinking it would be dry) and just under the 'crust' it's just still soggy :\ kind of really nasty....

and Cynthia, let me check with the hubs on that ;) I'll have to figure out how to get it lol.

Here are a couple picks of my latest girls. Do you think that BR looks like a roo? I hope not because I like his/her? coloring better than the other that looks a bit smudged.

Kristen

Here are a couple picks of my latest girls. Do you think that BR looks like a roo? I hope not because I like his/her? coloring better than the other that looks a bit smudged.

Kristen
The other BR might look more dull because she has one "dose" of the barring gene. The one in the pic might be a roo and would look much more sharp with two doses of barring gene. That being said I'm not familiar with this breed and it could still be a pullet. The comb is coming in nice though and they are quite red. I'm thinking 85% chance roo, but I don't know BRs.

Kristen
Just noticed the side by side with the other BR. Now I'm 98% roo on the second pic. IMHO

it's in the sun for a good part of the day... and I thought it would dry up as well... but it's been over half the month to dry out... and I just tried raking it (thinking it would be dry) and just under the 'crust' it's just still soggy :\ kind of really nasty.... 

and Cynthia, let me check with the hubs on that ;)  I'll have to figure out how to get it lol.

My husband did the same thing, too, thinking the chickens would scratch around in it and everything would be great. Nope! Ours never dried and was a horrible smelly mess! He ended up having to muck it all out.

tongue.png

Last edited:
Our 2nd hatch. 11 days left. I'm a little bummed that we don't have any of Lisa's cute little silkies in this hatch! We can't see what's happening in these eggs like we could with those. It made it so exciting! Lol.

That teeny tiny little thing is a dud I think. It was just found out in middle of a chicken field. My aunt said that when she gets these from her hens that there's not usually a yolk inside. Anyone on here gotten one so tiny before?

Back
Top Bottom