Utah!

You're moving to Delta??

Eventually.

I thought the same thing! I thought you were so happy about finally getting to tooele!

I'll be a lot happier when we are away from certain people in Tooele. And in Delta we'll have tons of space, so I can have more than just ten chickens if I want. I like the fields and view in Tooele, but it's all getting gobbled up by development.

I think we are going to process our chickens on Saturday.
hu.gif
I'm a little nervous. I just needed to check to make sure there is no ordinance prohibiting killing, plucking, and processing in our backyard. We are in Salt Lake City.

Kristen

I think we are going to process our chickens on Saturday.
hu.gif
I'm a little nervous. I just needed to check to make sure there is no ordinance prohibiting killing, plucking, and processing in our backyard. We are in Salt Lake City.

Kristen
As long as you are not selling them then you are ok.
thumbsup.gif

You might even be able to do it for selling up to a certain number of birds, but don't quote me on that.

I think we are going to process our chickens on Saturday.  :confused:   I'm a little nervous.  I just needed to check to make sure there is no ordinance prohibiting killing, plucking, and processing in our backyard.  We are in Salt Lake City.

Kristen

If you're worried, you can always process them in the garage or a shed, if you have one. I worry about it, too, even though we are in Tooele and it's supposed to be more rural. When I was in West Valley a neighbor helped me process a turkey inside his garage. No problems at all :)

I think we are going to process our chickens on Saturday.  :confused:   I'm a little nervous.  I just needed to check to make sure there is no ordinance prohibiting killing, plucking, and processing in our backyard.  We are in Salt Lake City.

Kristen
as long as you are not shooting them i am sure you will be ok. but doing it out of the view from most people might make neighbors happy tho if it was me i would be tempted to do it in plain view so more people get educated on where food comes from :)

Something like that, right??

LOL! I had a friend over and I was showing off my setup. He's looking around and then says "looks like you have way more chickens then is zoned for."
gig.gif

I actually don't, but I'm bumping up against the ceiling. It was then I realized he did not understand the obsession. Too bad to, he WAS a good friend.

JK were still friends.

If you're worried, you can always process them in the garage or a shed, if you have one. I worry about it, too, even though we are in Tooele and it's supposed to be more rural. When I was in West Valley a neighbor helped me process a turkey inside his garage. No problems at all
smile.png
I'm worried about blood going everywhere and turning my house or yard into a horror movie. Of course, now that I get up my nerve to actually take care of these hens, someone starts laying again.

I'm worried about blood going everywhere and turning my house or yard into a horror movie. Of course, now that I get up my nerve to actually take care of these hens, someone starts laying again.
Here's what I do, and it is pretty clean... I tie a rope to a rafter in my shed (or tree, etc) that hangs just above the ground. I tie the chicken's feet to the rope so it is hanging upside down about 6 inches from the ground. Then, I put a big black garbage sack beneath the chicken. I prefer to slice the throat, then pull the bag up over the top of the chicken and tie it tight. The chicken flaps for 10 seconds or so while the muscles lose their blood, then it is over. I open the bag, untie the chicken, spray off any blood, and continue the process... Some helpful threads that I learned from are available here on the site.

Here's what I do, and it is pretty clean... I tie a rope to a rafter in my shed (or tree, etc) that hangs just above the ground. I tie the chicken's feet to the rope so it is hanging upside down about 6 inches from the ground. Then, I put a big black garbage sack beneath the chicken. I prefer to slice the throat, then pull the bag up over the top of the chicken and tie it tight. The chicken flaps for 10 seconds or so while the muscles lose their blood, then it is over. I open the bag, untie the chicken, spray off any blood, and continue the process... Some helpful threads that I learned from are available here on the site.

:sick

I wish I could get the nerve up to do my own.!

Back
Top Bottom