Utah!

I made the short trip into Logan and Cal Ranch and picked up a bag of COB, I've opened the sack and scooped out a 'test' batch for the girls to find when they come back round the coop. I hope they like it. This bag has the grains rolled and they have a brownish over color, which I take as molasses. I do think the target market is for horses, but a little off label trial won't hurt anything. Thanks folks for the tips and insight, your thoughts are helpful. Interesting the different life experiences the various members here have to share. I'll try to post the results in a few days after they get used to seeing it.

Lisa, I love that bird you got from Red… I could stand a few of those. She is very pretty to say the least. Looks to be another swell day in northern Utah.

RJ

I got a visit from RJ today, a nice one! We had previously talked about me taking one of his pretty Sebrights off his hands...and I got this gorgeous girl here---

Soooooo about that one girl, in true BYC Utah thread fashion, RJ showed up with not one but TWO sebrights, knowing full and well I would not refuse a two for one deal. Hehehe smart guy! ...(.something he was saying about chicken enabling karma I had coming my way?!?! ) Imagine the thought. :p

Thank you again RJ for a pair of beautiful babies. They were a gift to my DH...he loves the banties and since he lost his Japanese he has been looking for a little one. He came home at lunch to see them and really REALLY likes them! :thumbsup

You are awesome RJ! :highfive:

I got a visit from RJ today, a nice one! We had previously talked about me taking one of his pretty Sebrights off his hands...and I got this gorgeous girl here---

Soooooo about that one girl, in true BYC Utah thread fashion, RJ showed up with not one but TWO sebrights, knowing full and well I would not refuse a two for one deal. Hehehe smart guy! ...(.something he was saying about chicken enabling karma I had coming my way?!?! ) Imagine the thought.
tongue.png

Thank you again RJ for a pair of beautiful babies. They were a gift to my DH...he loves the banties and since he lost his Japanese he has been looking for a little one. He came home at lunch to see them and really REALLY likes them!
thumbsup.gif

You are awesome RJ!
highfive.gif
Beautiful lacing!

Soooooo about that one girl, in true BYC Utah thread fashion, RJ showed up with not one but TWO sebrights, knowing full and well I would not refuse a two for one deal. Hehehe smart guy! ...(.something he was saying about chicken enabling karma I had coming my way?!?! ) Imagine the thought.
tongue.png

Thank you again RJ for a pair of beautiful babies. They were a gift to my DH...he loves the banties and since he lost his Japanese he has been looking for a little one. He came home at lunch to see them and really REALLY likes them!
thumbsup.gif

You are awesome RJ!
highfive.gif
Those are adorable!!

Thanks newmarch! Love them!

One more post here...anybody want some hatching eggs>

I keep them week by week, and these did not sell. Freebies...they are the silkie/showgirl/frizzles and then the brown ones are Splash marans pullet eggs from her paired with my Blue CM Roo. Should be Blue/splash babies, pretty sure none are from my blacks but not 100 percent. Free but they are 2-8 days old (marans are the last ten days eggs) so they need to go fast so they'll stay fertile. She does not lay really dark eggs yet, but she just started, and the roo is good so not sure how dark the egg color would be from the chicks on the Marans scale. Pretty though! And pretty birds. I am going to test hatch her eggs in the spring and see what her offspring do in the fall as far as egg color. She is my only Splash so not any choices on whose eggs to use for that particular project.

Last edited:
Thanks newmarch! Love them!

One more post here...anybody want some hatching eggs>

I keep them week by week, and these did not sell. Freebies...they are the silkie/showgirl/frizzles and then the brown ones are Splash marans pullet eggs from her paired with my Blue CM Roo. Should be Blue/splash babies, pretty sure none are from my blacks but not 100 percent. Free but they are 2-8 days old (marans are the last ten days eggs) so they need to go fast so they'll stay fertile. She does not lay really dark eggs yet, but she just started, and the roo is good so not sure how dark the egg color would be from the chicks on the Marans scale. Pretty though! And pretty birds. I am going to test hatch her eggs in the spring and see what her offspring do in the fall as far as egg color. She is my only Splash so not any choices on whose eggs to use for that particular project.
I was actually thinking I need to try to line some more hatching eggs up. I'm on my second shot at incubating right now, first time, bought some local eggs and had 1/12 hatch, but only 5 made lock down. This time, I've set 18 from my 2 1/2 year old girls, bred by one of my two 7 month old roos. When I candled at 7 days, I'm pretty sure that over half of them are clears. So I think I'm going to try some local eggs again, but I won't be ready to set any more for about 2 weeks, so I guess I'll have to pass on those.

ETA: beautiful eggs though!

Last edited:
I was actually thinking I need to try to line some more hatching eggs up. I'm on my second shot at incubating right now, first time, bought some local eggs and had 1/12 hatch, but only 5 made lock down. This time, I've set 18 from my 2 1/2 year old girls, bred by one of my two 7 month old roos. When I candled at 7 days, I'm pretty sure that over half of them are clears. So I think I'm going to try some local eggs again, but I won't be ready to set any more for about 2 weeks, so I guess I'll have to pass on those. 

ETA: beautiful eggs though!

Keep your eyes peeled here--if I get more that don't sell I 'll offer them up here for free at least for another month or so, I can't bring myself to eat them haha :D Egg sales are definitely starting to slow down the last few weeks.

thumbsup.gif

You are awesome RJ!
highfive.gif
Pretty girls! I love their big dark eyes! I love chickens with dark eyes!!!
I've been meaning you text you. Day 14 on the eggs I got from you...not a single clear! They all look great! Thanks again!!!

Back
Top Bottom