Utah!

Madchicken, I'm so sorry. When my grandmother passed, it was from an artery bursting in her chest. The doctors managed to get it sealed up, then found that a second artery had burst in her abdomen..........when it's their time to go, they go. Love to you and yours.

So yesterday, I grabbed my turkey that we just recaptured and clipped her wings. While I was holding her, I noticed a wound on one wing. It was kind of nasty, so we slathered neosporin on it. I'm now pretty convinced that the neighbor's dog did try to get her, which was why she left our yard and got lost. If that dog had her by the wing, this just goes to show how smart of a bird she really is. She got away from a dog and got away from however many people by staying on their roofs. And I'd better not catch that dog in my yard, or it will not be a happy day. My birds are my babies. Grrrr.

Red, glad you noticed her wing and was able to treat it before it got infected.

Sundance, I'm sad that you're jet setting around. I have a chicken that I think needs surgery, and I bet you'd help me do it.

Madchicken, it sounds like it really was your mom's time to go.

I can't tell if this is a rooster or a pullet now. The tail feathers are getting long and curle down at the end. Let me know what you guys think

Sorry, sounds like a rough time with your mom. My mom has been very, very ill for years. Yet, I know when it happens it will be a shock.

My broody hen hatched 2 eggs today. 2 out of 5. Remember those 3 eggs i got from the neighbor, all bombs. The 2 she hatched was from my girls. Looks like i have a roo and a hen BSL. I all ready have 2 BSL roos if any one is interested. They are really neat looking but still young and wont get to the size of LF since the rooster is a bantam. They look like the Dominique hen but lighter in color and the hackles are red, i will post a picture tomorrow.

Red, glad you noticed her wing and was able to treat it before it got infected.

Sundance, I'm sad that you're jet setting around. I have a chicken that I think needs surgery, and I bet you'd help me do it.

Madchicken, it sounds like it really was your mom's time to go.

I am home for now bring your chicken over. What does she need

Last edited:
My broody hen hatched 2 eggs today. 2 out of 5. Remember those 3 eggs i got from the neighbor, all bombs. The 2 she hatched was from my girls. Looks like i have a roo and a hen BSL. I all ready have 2 BSL roos if any one is interested. They are really neat looking but still young and wont get to the size of LF since the rooster is a bantam. They look like the Dominique hen but lighter in color and the hackles are red, i will post a picture tomorrow.

wow good for her. I need to clean out my brooder to put the Seramas in before the really cold weather hits midweek. They are frizzled so need to be kept above 54 degrees. Since I can't take them with me to Arizona I think the brooder is the best place for then. Red is taking them ib the brooder for a few months.

I am home for now bring your chicken over. What does she need

Aw man! I didn't see this til now. She has this big lump under her eye and her eye is swollen shut. She seemed like she had a respiratory infection, so I treated everyone with denagard. It didn't change anything with her, and her face swelled up. Meanwhile, everyone else looks great and shows no sign of illness.

I'll try to take a picture of her. Be right back.

Ok, here's pictures. I felt the lump, and it feels very firm, not at all squishy.

Other than compensating for not being able to see out of that eye, she acts perfectly normally. Eats, drinks, scratches around. Seems the same size as my other legbar. If I'm on the "good" eye side, the only way I can tell the difference is sickie's topknot is more reddish, and the healthy one's toupee is brown.

Last edited:

I can't tell if this is a rooster or a pullet now. The tail feathers are getting long and curle down at the end. Let me know what you guys think
I would say pullet. It looks similar to my White Leghorn.

Aw man! I didn't see this til now. She has this big lump under her eye and her eye is swollen shut. She seemed like she had a respiratory infection, so I treated everyone with denagard. It didn't change anything with her, and her face swelled up. Meanwhile, everyone else looks great and shows no sign of illness.

I'll try to take a picture of her. Be right back.

Ok, here's pictures. I felt the lump, and it feels very firm, not at all squishy.

Other than compensating for not being able to see out of that eye, she acts perfectly normally. Eats, drinks, scratches around. Seems the same size as my other legbar. If I'm on the "good" eye side, the only way I can tell the difference is sickie's topknot is more reddish, and the healthy one's toupee is brown.
I think I'm going to have nightmares....!

Back
Top Bottom