Utah!

Please, I need help.
My favourite duck has bumble foot. Infection is setting in, It needs to be removed before I loose her. I have watched a bunch of Utube videos on removal, only one was a duck, but the procedure seems to be the same.

Has anyone here successfully removed bumble? Would someone be willing to help me? I cannot do this myself. I do not have a steady hand to begin with and am battling a sprained/ dislocated thumb on my dominant hand.

I can provide surgical scalpels, size 10 or 11, bandages, neosporin, gloves, etc.

I can bring several pounds of yummy leland farms chicken mash, duck eggs, fireplace ash, (I really dont know how to bribe chicken people do I; LOL )
I have had a bad rash of bumblefoot with my chickens (I think I have fixed the problems that I think were causing it). We did the surgery on a few but never got teh kernel out. I then bought tricide neo. It is labor intensive but I got way better results. I have a couple hens that still have it but the ones that I had the time to soak every couple days improved pretty quickly. I decided it was way easier for me to catch my chickens and clean their feet and soak them than to keep cutting on their feet.

Both of my chickens have bald like patches running from their chest down to their legs, is this normal and if not what should I do about it? I was also wondering if anybody has turkeys (specifically in Provo) I am thinking about getting some in spring, any tips or suggestions? 

I'm not in Provo, but I have kept turkeys for a couple of years. I'm no expert but I'd be happy to offer advice where I can. Do you want them for meat? Eggs? Pets/grazing? If you just want meat, the Broad Breasted Whites are easy to get from IFA (or similar) in Springtime when they get turkeys in. They grow fast and yield large carcasses, and personally I love their personalities. They are prone to lots of health problems if kept long term, though.

If you are looking for eggs or pets and grazers, you probably want a heritage breed. I've heard tell that Royal Palms make good pets and are more tame than most breeds. I have a couple of Bourbon reds now and they also make fair pets if handled frequently. My bronze hen was decidedly not a people person. She was eye candy for me, not a lap hen. However I think she was wild when I got her as a juvenile, so that may have been part of it.

Most turkeys are friendly if you spend a lot of time with them from a young age. Some of the toms can get aggressive though, so be careful if you have little ones. They can also get pushy with chickens and other fowl, and I have seen mine pick up chickens and wing them around to get them away from food before. Not all turkeys do it. Some are just fine.

So anyway, there's a lot of advice you probably didn't want :)

I'm so sorry to hear that.
sad.png
My husband has spina bifida occulta. Lucky for him, he didn't have an issues with it until later in life. He's gotten various diagnosis's over the years from the military but the VA hospital confirmed last month that that's what it is. It causes him spells of pretty horrendous pain but thankfully nothing more. I'm so sorry to read that one of you lost your baby to it and that it's been such a rough journey for your family, Cynthia.
Aww thank you. Yes, it's been tough here and there, but, having said that, there have been many happy times. He's a happy soul. He is enjoying a really different kind of hobby right now, something I would never have thought of doing. Helping with the ads for those that are in music, or comedy. He has a blast. He still ends up in the hospital unexpectadly here and there, but bounces back.
So glad that you DH is ok. Having the spine bones not in line, can be painful! We have a daughter that has this too. Interesting..this is one of my husbands daughters. She didn't know it until an X-ray, doesn't bother her. Thank goodness.

Lady, yes .. bumble foot, just finished doing two here. Well, almost finished, one was well enough I sold her with bandages on, and showed the gal that took her how to do the change.
The best trick is to cover their head..good! So they can't see. Make sure the wings are flat of course. Don't pull the legs up..that's an akward position, and they will kick, or try and bring them back in. Makes for a scary situation when you have that knife in your hand. I just bought a punch for doing them. Afraid I bought it too big. Really made them bleed for a while. But, they heal so well. At least it was a quick getting the kernnel out.
Here is a photo of a couple of my reds that had bumble foot at the same time.
Where do you live?

Had to run and get the camera..too cute. Took the photos through the wire that I put the lamp on.
Must feel soo good to be out of that egg! You have to click on the photo to see this baby's happy face! :)

I haven't helped any babies out, but this one started losing some yolk after I put it in
the brooder. What? Wondering if one of the others saw the little bit of red on it's belly,
and, pulled! I also have it's feet in boots.

Still waiting on one more..it's been pipped all day. I can hear it in there chirping. Probably
tonight.

Last edited:
I'm not in Provo, but I have kept turkeys for a couple of years. I'm no expert but I'd be happy to offer advice where I can. Do you want them for meat? Eggs? Pets/grazing? If you just want meat, the Broad Breasted Whites are easy to get from IFA (or similar) in Springtime when they get turkeys in. They grow fast and yield large carcasses, and personally I love their personalities. They are prone to lots of health problems if kept long term, though.

If you are looking for eggs or pets and grazers, you probably want a heritage breed. I've heard tell that Royal Palms make good pets and are more tame than most breeds. I have a couple of Bourbon reds now and they also make fair pets if handled frequently. My bronze hen was decidedly not a people person. She was eye candy for me, not a lap hen. However I think she was wild when I got her as a juvenile, so that may have been part of it.

Most turkeys are friendly if you spend a lot of time with them from a young age. Some of the toms can get aggressive though, so be careful if you have little ones. They can also get pushy with chickens and other fowl, and I have seen mine pick up chickens and wing them around to get them away from food before. Not all turkeys do it. Some are just fine.

So anyway, there's a lot of advice you probably didn't want
smile.png
Thank you for this advice, I am thinking about getting some for meat. Do you know if they are legal in Provo and how much room each turkey needs?

Back
Top Bottom