Utah!

Our girls navigated last winter pretty well. In fact, chickens do better in the winter than they do in the summer, as they can huddle up with each other to share warmth and they can puff their feathers out to trap their own body heat. It works really well. As long as they have a dry place to roost that is sheltered from drafts, they will do fine. Our run was just chain link and fencing that we covered with tarps, on the top and one long side, to keep out the snow and rain and cut the wind. They would only come out into the back yard when I shoveled a path for them. They all did really well, even our buff orpington that molted badly mid February did fine, she did shiver a bit when she was outside, but, she refused to stay in the coop when the sun was shining. You do need to be watchful for frostbite on combs and feet. Cutting the drafts in the coop and providing dry areas for them to spend their day will go a long way to preventing that.

We do not provide additional light or heat. The risk of fire in the coop is more than we're willing to accept, but, I know there are those that will do it. We did use a small space heater for an hour or so as the sun was going down on nights when the temps were way below zero in daytime, but, only when we were standing right there supervising. Our thinking was to take the edge off til they got settled. We only did this a couple of times, otherwise, no heat other than what they generated on their own. I would check them now and then and they seemed happy and comfy. Even the two skinny white leghorns.

I also always gave them some scratch before as the sun was going down and again in the morning. It helps them to generate heat. Toss in some cayenne pepper now and then for extra heat. Not a lot, just a dash. Chickens don't have heat receptors so the cayenne doesn't bother them.

Make sure their water is not frozen, which may mean getting a water dish heater or spending more time going out to the coop to break the ice. Some have used ping pong balls on the surface of the water to keep it from freezing so easily, I haven't tried this.

Keep the coop as poop free as you are able. I use the deep litter method, having about 6 inches deep of pine shavings on the coop floor, and a large droppings board under the roosting bars to catch poop during the night. I scrape the droppings boards in the mornings and toss the droppings into our compost heap. I also rake the pine shavings to get the droppings to drop to the bottom of the litter. This helps it to dry out, and discourages moisture build up in the coop. Make sure you have good ventilation in your coop. If you have condensation anywhere, then you need more ventilation, but, also seal up any drafts on the level of the roosting bars.

Once you've set up your coop for the winter with fresh bedding, droppings boards, ventilation, and remove any food and water sources to prevent condensation, your birds will go through the winter just fine.

Our girls navigated last winter pretty well. In fact, chickens do better in the winter than they do in the summer, as they can huddle up with each other to share warmth and they can puff their feathers out to trap their own body heat. It works really well. As long as they have a dry place to roost that is sheltered from drafts, they will do fine. Our run was just chain link and fencing that we covered with tarps, on the top and one long side, to keep out the snow and rain and cut the wind. They would only come out into the back yard when I shoveled a path for them. They all did really well, even our buff orpington that molted badly mid February did fine, she did shiver a bit when she was outside, but, she refused to stay in the coop when the sun was shining. You do need to be watchful for frostbite on combs and feet. Cutting the drafts in the coop and providing dry areas for them to spend their day will go a long way to preventing that.

We do not provide additional light or heat. The risk of fire in the coop is more than we're willing to accept, but, I know there are those that will do it. We did use a small space heater for an hour or so as the sun was going down on nights when the temps were way below zero in daytime, but, only when we were standing right there supervising. Our thinking was to take the edge off til they got settled. We only did this a couple of times, otherwise, no heat other than what they generated on their own. I would check them now and then and they seemed happy and comfy. Even the two skinny white leghorns.

I also always gave them some scratch before as the sun was going down and again in the morning. It helps them to generate heat. Toss in some cayenne pepper now and then for extra heat. Not a lot, just a dash. Chickens don't have heat receptors so the cayenne doesn't bother them.

Make sure their water is not frozen, which may mean getting a water dish heater or spending more time going out to the coop to break the ice. Some have used ping pong balls on the surface of the water to keep it from freezing so easily, I haven't tried this.

Keep the coop as poop free as you are able. I use the deep litter method, having about 6 inches deep of pine shavings on the coop floor, and a large droppings board under the roosting bars to catch poop during the night. I scrape the droppings boards in the mornings and toss the droppings into our compost heap. I also rake the pine shavings to get the droppings to drop to the bottom of the litter. This helps it to dry out, and discourages moisture build up in the coop. Make sure you have good ventilation in your coop. If you have condensation anywhere, then you need more ventilation, but, also seal up any drafts on the level of the roosting bars.

Once you've set up your coop for the winter with fresh bedding, droppings boards, ventilation, and remove any food and water sources to prevent condensation, your birds will go through the winter just fine.

That works great for normal breeds but some of the exotics don't do well without heat. some of the smaller bantams frizzles etc

That works great for normal breeds but some of the exotics don't do well without heat. some of the smaller bantams frizzles etc
Agreed. I only have standard breeds pretty much so, if you have a breed that specifies in it's standard that it is not cold weather hardy, you may need to take extra measures to keep them safe and healthy in colder weather. The opposite is true of the heavy breeds in the summer. I have to do all kinds of extra things for my heavy girls when it gets really hot around here.

Well its been a while since I have been on here. But have decided to it is time to get chickens again. We have moved into town so now have some restrictions and not quite as much space. So its time to start figuring out how to build my coop. I have been thinking of something like a 5x8 coop/run combo. with option to add more run space. This size of coop we will be able to have 4 hens. Think of a couple of layers and then a silkie or show girl or something like that for fun. So if you have something you like in your coop let me know.

Well its been a while since I have been on here. But have decided to it is time to get chickens again. We have moved into town so now have some restrictions and not quite as much space. So its time to start figuring out how to build my coop. I have been thinking of something like a 5x8 coop/run combo. with option to add more run space. This size of coop we will be able to have 4 hens. Think of a couple of layers and then a silkie or show girl or something like that for fun.  So if you have something you like in your coop let me know.

If you want hatching eggs or chicks in the spring holler! I'll give you anything you like from my flock---I've got the Marans, Olive Eggers, Wheaten Ameraucanas, SBEL's, and the silkie/frizzle//showgirl project still going. Check outmy Showgirls this year :

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom