Utah!

I didn't make the class.....got home late from work and grandson came over. I will be at the chickenstock. Where at the park do we want to meet?

Quote:
I was in the red group, but had to slip out immediately after the last class - it ran later than I'd thought and needed to get the little kiddies home to bed (they'd be at their Grandma's just up the hill from the garden). What did you think of the class?

I didn't realize you could buy the maps there last night. I'll be there for the Tour this Saturday.

Quote:
Me too... I had to laugh when the first girl said, "Let's see (giggle) 5 sessions at 20 minutes each is.... (giggle) 80 minutes. We'll be done in about an hour or so." Then all the classes ran late. I figured it would go later than 8:30.

Quote:
They were actually pretty good. I knew most of the stuff, but it was still interesting. I did like the black cochin chicken. But was disappointed when he said they weren't good layers.

Marty

Quote:
Me too... I had to laugh when the first girl said, "Let's see (giggle) 5 sessions at 20 minutes each is.... (giggle) 80 minutes. We'll be done in about an hour or so." Then all the classes ran late. I figured it would go later than 8:30.

Quote:
They were actually pretty good. I knew most of the stuff, but it was still interesting. I did like the black cochin chicken. But was disappointed when he said they weren't good layers.

Did you stay for the comments/feedback section? I wish I could have been there to see what other people were thinking. I'm going to write up a note to hand in when I pick up my Tour map on Saturday. I'm glad I went, but didn't learn a whole lot of new information - I seemd to be the only one in my group that already had chickens - the other people in my group had so many really basic questions that I kept wanting to jump up and tell people to check out BYC online. A couple of the presentors kept asking me how I did things with my chickens, which felt a little funny.

kimbobim

Quote:
Exactly... It was a pretty basic class. I took my wife and 11 year old son, and I think they learned a lot, but I was answering a lot of questions too...

Quote:
You had your son with you? Was he wearing glasses, brown hair? Seems I remember seeing only one other kid there - I had my 11-year old son and 9-year old daughter with me. They enjoyed the class, but were a little disappointed there weren't any other kids in our group to talk about chickens with.

Quote:
Diddo. I was in blue group. One presenter was talking about DE and hadn't even heard of food grade. He seemed confused when I told people to make sure it was food grade. He said DE was made up of "glass shards" which its technically not. Then he went on to explain that mites eat the DE and it destroys their gut. Huh? Why would a critter that lives on blood eat "glass shards". Huh? Oh well, I wish I could have stayed for the comment section too. There was also some other information that was weird, not fully explained or bad. I'm going to write them a little note. I haven't decided if I will email or snail mail. I kept wanting to jump in and say check out BYC, you'll learn so much more. Too bad none of us ended up in the same group.
sad.png

I'm really looking forward to meeting on Saturday.

P.S. - kimbobim I have been following your post regarding your wyandotte. PLEASE keep me updated. I've got my fingers and toes crossed.
hugs.gif

Hello Utah!

I have been a member of BYC for a while, I have made a couple of posts but never saw this section.

I got my chickens on June 3 from IFA. I thought I was going to be buying older chickens but I am glad I ended up with babies. It has given us a chance to bond. I have two Red Stars, (Belle and Bright) two EE's (Molly and Minerva) and one Australorp (Sydney.) I am hoping they are all pullets but we aren't quite there yet. They are just over five weeks, or so.

I have constructed a tractor. It is almost done. I didn't realize we had raccoons but I caught one in a trap on Sunday night so I am double checking my work. I am a little cautious now.

We live in South Weber (Northern Davis Co, southern Weber Co, in the Weber canyon) on a half an acre. We can have more chickens but I just wanted a few for the grandkids and for eggs.

I haven't let the girls stay outside yet. I take them out everyday in a fenced pet cage so they are eating from the garden and yard but not outside yet. My Australorp (Sydney) is not fully feathered.

It sounds like this might be a fairly active group, that's great! I can't make the meets this weekend but I wanted to say Hi.

Brenda

Well, I too was in the red group. It was a good class. I plan on going to the tour and the park. What is the address. I hope to see you all there. CK

Back
Top Bottom