Utah!

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your hen.
sad.png
There is someone on this board that knows all there is to know on that and has great success. I can't recall her name but she has a site that ends in podiatry. She was selling chicken feed for awhile, maybe research the threads?

I wish the best in your surgery. I was kinda feeling sorry about letting go one of the roos this am but you've made me put things into perspective. I will spend my thoughts on you sailing through the surgery with a speedy recovery.
love.gif

Check back in with us when you're back up to speed, k?

Take care chicken-friend~
julie

that would be speckled hills or however you spell her name and her website is poultrypedia . com or something like that. bumble foot is hard, as you may remember one of my favorite hens had it this summer and she looked bad and i was ready to put her down but my mother got me to wait and she slowly got better and is doing normal now. i am sorry you all are having problems and julie you just cant catch a break can you? i hope everyone has better luck
fl.gif
and cynthia good luck with your surgery! i will be thinking of you. i hope saratoga springs approves chickens and realizes how great they are! i would go to show support but i do not drive and things are a little busy around here but i wish you all the best of luck! have a great day everyone
big_smile.png

Our hens have completely quit laying eggs no eggs for a week now. i know the days are shorter now, but no eggs did i miss something here? I sthis normal. Will installing a light help

Quote:
I've gone from 30 eggs to about about 12-15. And those girls have big windows on the morning side of the coop and a run that gets sun all day... go figure. This is my new barn/coop and youngest layers (but well into laying).

There's various opinions about lights in the laying part of the coop. It can help but mine like the darkest part of the coop to lay. I put a bulb in my smaller coop 24/7 during the worst cold last winter but felt guilty so switched to a red bulb, no change in laying or behavior.

This fall my DH added an enclosed sunroom to one end of the small coop. I'm hoping it'll help (certainly looks cozy!) and will be more natural (at least that's the plan). I think they do need to take a break from laying as nature intended.

You didn't say how many chickens you have but one thing you might check for is any bits of shell or anyone with "egg on their face". If they get bored, they can turn to eating their eggs and that's a bugger of a habit to break. (hee hee just noticed the pun).

I'm curious if others are having the same significant egg drop in production too?
hmm.png

Edited to add: Just went to your BYC pg. ONE NICE COOP ya got there!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Timers are the best! Using it now, But when it gets cold cold, I put the red heat lamp in and leave it on.

Quote:
Yes - SpeckledHills has a great site about chickens - https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

We've
had really good luck with bumblefoot, so don't give up. On average, we do surgeries in the spring and fall. Some have never had it and others vary. We'll clear it up, but we have some that must be heavy on their feet or something. We've had two cases where they've been limping by the time we caught it and swollen/hot/hard and we've gotten those cleared up.

Good luck with your surgery!

cool.png

I've just recently turned on my light and timer. I've gone from 5 or 6 from my seven to 1 or 2, but I also have several going into molt.
barnie.gif

Quote:
Yes - SpeckledHills has a great site about chickens - https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

We've
had really good luck with bumblefoot, so don't give up. On average, we do surgeries in the spring and fall. Some have never had it and others vary. We'll clear it up, but we have some that must be heavy on their feet or something. We've had two cases where they've been limping by the time we caught it and swollen/hot/hard and we've gotten those cleared up.

Good luck with your surgery!

I book marked this page! Thank you.
smile.png

well i just did a coop clean out, its the first major clean out since i got my girls in february and i am now sore! i do a deep litter method and use poop boards that i scrape off weekly. i got a lot of good compost for the garden and i am amazed how fast it all breaks down. i added a shelf that i picked up off my sister since she has no room for it, its one of those plastic types. so now i have more room for little extra chicken things
smile.png
i also got a tool rack to use but its not up yet because i am tired. so how is everyone doing? hope your surgery went well cynthia!
hugs.gif

Right now I have 5 hens, installed a light with timer still no eggs, Not sure what to think, Will look to see if they are eating their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom