Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

Those are a cream color from my "I don't know what she is" pullet. Lol I bought her at an auction as a chick and was told she was a Lavender Orpington. She clearly isn't. Here is a pic of her at 12 weeks old. She just started laying this past Christmas Eve. Any ideas what she could be? Some say she looks like a Blue Wyandotte. She has a rose comb.
i would guess EE or EE mix. Wyandottes have all yellow legs.

Thanks.  My Dh talked me into trying some mallards this year even though I'm concentrating on choosing my turkey breeds this year.  So I have a few snowy mallards from ideal coming right before the Easter price increase. 

They do look interesting.  Do they lay a colored egg?  That is one of the things I'm looking for.  Ducks are not my favorite bird but my little girl loves the large colored eggs.  We had a green egg laying duck but I'm almost positive we sold her. 

I'll be setting a bit late in hopes of gathering a few more eggs. 
they lay green/blue, white, and I've even seem them lay a purplish egg.

These are going in the incubator tonight also! So now I have a broody hatch and an incubator hatch for valentine's day! Ohiki, scary hona, swedish flowers, and some orp/ohiki cross for fun.

Last edited:
Just set my eggs tonight! 2nd time ever incubating eggs! Not sure I can trump my percentage from last time!
Set 37
4 were OBVIOUS duds on day 10
31 hatched healthy!!
1 died in the egg, fully unzipped
1 was a clear that was super dark and I just couldn't tell
So they said my hatch rate was 31/32 = 97%!!

This time, I set 41 eggs. All parents are purebred, but eggs are a barnyard mix. Hoping to separate into four breeding pens since I have trios of Welsummers, Lavender Orpingtons, Black Copper Marans, and Olive Eggers.

I also have Delawares, Golden Comets, Pioneers, and more!
I'm incubating the left two rows of my friends' eggs--she has a Black Australorp Roo and a bunch of great layers.
Here are my "mutt" eggs in the 'bator!
Mine were born early last time, so I bet this will be right on time!

I'll be joining as well. I was gonna wait until tomorrow but didn't think about the due date lol I have almost 4 dz due next weekend. Then 3dz the following weekend. Will be my mix of fbcm-birchen maran-golden laced polish-ee roos over same mix plus more hens

The eggs I ordered for the NYD Hal took forever and didn't track until they landed at my post office. Mine were shipped on a Monday and nothing showed in the tracking until Friday morning, when they arrived at my local post office. My fingers are crossed that your eggs turn up tomorrow!!
fl.gif

You must have crossed them really hard, because they did show up right before the PO closed today! I have no idea what kind of scenic adventure they went on, but the packaging job was A+ and they are all in good shape and settling so I can throw them in first thing in the morning. Maybe one will be an early bird and I'll get some Valentine peeping after all.

I was just going to use 1 bator but since I've gotten DH hooked he suggested I set up a second one since it is hatching time. lol I didn't fill the second one up so I have room for a staggered hatch. I'm hoping I get those other eggs i ordered soon. I know how silkies are though. It could be months before they pick back up again. The 3rd set I have no idea whats going on with them. I hope the seller is ok. She was online a week ago but not since so I don't expect she got my PM unless she gets email notifications.

Anyway. I'm hoping I can catch up with my friends in Jackson sometime soon and get some eggs from them as well. I need to add new blood as well as more girls to my pens. I get alot of requests that I can't fill because I don't have enough laying. But then I do have 7 hens in my splash pen and I just started getting 4 eggs a day. It was 1 and 2 a day. I have 4 cockerels left to sell and my juvie pen will be empty and ready for the new hatching season. I already put almost all the new girls in their new pens with the existing adults except for 2. One of my girls is very small, always has been. I'm hoping she will grow some more so I can put her in with a roo. She is already wanting to breed. I've got a paint girl to add to the paint pen but I need to move them all to a bigger pen so they have room and also I need to purchase a black roo for the girls. I put my white roo in with them for now. I have some of their eggs in the bator to see how they turn out.

I've got lots of plans for this year. I'm going to move my white sizzle hens in with my white silkie roo and add some white silkie girls as well to start a white pen. I want to add more silver partridge girls also as well as add new color sizzle girls to the sizzle pen. Also add more girls to my porcelain pen. I have a hen in there that does not look porcelain or blue cream but she produces the most beautiful blue cream offspring.

So, I went to the local auction today just to see what was going on (it was raining) and I ended up walking away with a dozen mystery hatching eggs for $5!

They look bantam-sized but this makes the hatch even MORE EXCITING! if that's even possible!

woot.gif

So, I went to the local auction today just to see what was going on (it was raining) and I ended up walking away with a dozen mystery hatching eggs for $5!

They look bantam-sized but this makes the hatch even MORE EXCITING! if that's even possible!

woot.gif
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh that's going to be so much fun!! Can't wait to find out what they are!

shoot. My eggs didn't come in time. I'm going to call a lady tomorrow that was going to have eggs for me next Friday for pick up (I was planning a staggered hatch with already set eggs) and see if I can get them early. I am itching to hatch more biddies.

Claudia

Back
Top Bottom