Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

I'm trying the dry incubation technique this go around with my new genesis 1588.

Nice incubator! Please weigh your eggs to make sure they aren't drying out too much. I just read a story about someone who did a dry hatch and every single chick shrink wrapped and died. :( Better to be safe than sorry.
Weighing is not a must, as long as you are familar with how an air cell should look size wise you can adjust your humidity based on that. i dry hatch until the last week or so...even for ducks. i also live in a state surrounded by lakes though so alot of moisture in the air.
Some where like arizona is likely much different.

The waiting is horrible! I vowed not to candle until day 7 though. At that point I can pull the clears and rearrange the eggs in the incubator. Candling before that will not be conclusive anyway. This is good therapy for my ADHD! haha The eggs will also be weighed on day 7 so I can adjust my humidity if necessary. Right now I'm at 99.3 degrees and 44% humidity.
I know I will have atleast 1 clear. I only put it in, just in case there's a miracle. One of my EE's has only ever had a few fertile. I'm not sure if it's her or the rooster that's with her. I've had them together for 6 months and I've only seen him mate her 1 time. He was very active with some Barred Rocks that are no longer in there. I'm getting ready to need the space, so he may be going by by. I plan to move her and see if theres any luck with another rooster. Anyway, everytime I hatch, I put a few of hers in there just to see if he's mating when I'm not looking, and not one of them have ever developed. He's a Japanese Bantam and I've gotten attached to the little guy, but.....

first day and you are already on page 22???  :eek:

:ya

I think I will join!  (but I will not guess.... way too difficult)

Now.... it turns out that my chicken eggs I put in a little too early.... does that make me disqualified?? 

I put in mostly Marans, french Black Copper, and a put in some Olive Eggers.

I put the biggest set of eggs, MAYBE Monday, and then I kept adding eggs.... with the last eggs added a couple Leghorn mixes, which I think I added on Thursday.

So..... humm..... maybe I am too early to qualify?

Will @DragonClaw01
vote on if I am in or out??

I vote to allow Alaskan to join, we have some early setters and late setters anyways... And I am dying to see how this crazy staggered hatch comes out, lol... What do ya think, @misfitmorgan?? Alaskan is good company too... :D

I know I will have atleast 1 clear. I only put it in, just in case there's a miracle. One of my EE's has only ever had a few fertile. I'm not sure if it's her or the rooster that's with her. I've had them together for 6 months and I've only seen him mate her 1 time. He was very active with some Barred Rocks that are no longer in there. I'm getting ready to need the space, so he may be going by by. I plan to move her and see if theres any luck with another rooster. Anyway, everytime I hatch, I put a few of hers in there just to see if he's mating when I'm not looking, and not one of them have ever developed. He's a Japanese Bantam and I've gotten attached to the little guy, but.....
Are you sure he is big enough to do the job? All the EEs i have seen are LF.

Also there will be a prize for best hatch rate..i am making the announcement now cause i have not been able to get a hold of dragonclaw.

This is how it works:

Best hatch rate wins
If two or more people tie for best hatch rate, highest number of eggs set wins. If there is still a tie among highest number set i will ask the two or more people tied to pick a number between 1 and 23, closest guess wins.

Do not count clears for your hatch rate.
Example:
You set 12 eggs 2 end up being clears and 8 hatch your hatch rate would be 8 of 10 viable set
Hatch rate 80%

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Please send me a pm with the number of eggs you set, if i do not get a pm before 1/30 you will not be in the best hatch rate contest.

The best hatch rate prize is a Gold Feather 6 month membership.

If anyone else would like to donate any prizes please send me a pm.

I also need a picture of your incubator with your eggs in it and a picture of your hatched chicks. You may send the picture of the eggs anytime between now and 1/30

Last edited:
Also there will be a prize for best hatch rate..i am making the announcement now cause i have not been able to get a hold of dragonclaw.
This is awesome! I already know I won't win, since I'm sure my 14 legbar eggs will die around day 11.
hmm.png

That would already bring me down to 81%. My neighbor also gave me some "chicken" eggs and then later told me some of them might be duck eggs. They only get until day 21 so they won't hatch anyway. I will still be happy with any chicks I get though. I love them!

This is awesome! I already know I won't win, since I'm sure my 14 legbar eggs will die around day 11.
hmm.png

That would already bring me down to 81%. My neighbor also gave me some "chicken" eggs and then later told me some of them might be duck eggs. They only get until day 21 so they won't hatch anyway. I will still be happy with any chicks I get though. I love them!
The prize will not be awarded until the 22 or 23rd because we have some late joiners. So you could incubate them until they hatch and count them. i know often duck eggs and chicken eggs have separate prizes but for this HAL any eggs are being counted.

The other possible contests that would need prizes donated for are:
First Chick to Hatch - closest to midnight on Vday(with photo proof)
Worst Hatch Rate
Most Eggs Set

The prizes can be anything from books(yes used too), hatching eggs, poultry related crafts, BYC memberships, BYC products, if you have anything you would like to donate as a prize let me know and we can see if it would work.

Dont forget there is also a contest for .....Guess the number of eggs set by everyone total in the HAL.....PM those guesses to Dragonclaw.

Back
Top Bottom