Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

When your hatch is over, how do you clean your styrofoam Bator?
I have the plastic tray, the metal grate over that, and the top & bottom of the incubator. The turner looks fine and doesn't smell/isn't dirty.

I agree with Alaskan... I soak mine in the tub and use a soft bristle 'nail brush' to scrub it all down with, the only thing I use that nail brush for, lol... the top I wipe down the best I can, once w soapy cloth, then again to rinse and sanitize... also same on the turner, but my racks come out, so they get washed the same as the base...
Even if your turner looks clean, at least wipe it down with damp cloth if it doesn't come apart, bacteria could still be on it... :)

Two of my LAs popped overnight, and had one more today, so I am up to eleven in the brooder. No cheeping, tapping, or pipping anywhere on the rest. I hope I get at least one more out of the LAs before all is said and done but all in all, I am happy with what's in the brooder right now: The total for me is 11 of 15 in LD and 17 set on day 1 with three Lavender Am's and eight BY mix chicks in the brooder--not bad for a nub. I think I am going to let the rest just cook a little while longer and see, you never know.

My thoughts are turning already to the next round. Do I wait for the Easter HAL or try and sneak a hatch in between now and then?..... And what to do with the fluffers? I live in suburbia and only have room for so many back there, plus we are already developing a little pileup of eggs even with passing some off to neighbors. I think it's time to look into developing a little side business or two to support my habit!

Two of my LAs popped overnight, and had one more today, so I am up to eleven in the brooder. No cheeping, tapping, or pipping anywhere on the rest. I hope I get at least one more out of the LAs before all is said and done but all in all, I am happy with what's in the brooder right now: The total for me is 11 of 15 in LD and 17 set on day 1 with three Lavender Am's and eight BY mix chicks in the brooder--not bad for a nub. I think I am going to let the rest just cook a little while longer and see, you never know.

My thoughts are turning already to the next round. Do I wait for the Easter HAL or try and sneak a hatch in between now and then?..... And what to do with the fluffers? I live in suburbia and only have room for so many back there, plus we are already developing a little pileup of eggs even with passing some off to neighbors. I think it's time to look into developing a little side business or two to support my habit!
I found that my local area poultry Facebook is the easiest and fastest way to sell chicks.

good luck!

9 chicks hatched, 2 pipped wrong end and didn't make it out... only 1 OEGB, and no Phoenix... :(

Lost our heat last night, but bators kept temp perfectly even tho they are in the far bedroom that is always the coldest anyways, lol...

9 chicks hatched, 2 pipped wrong end and didn't make it out... only 1 OEGB, and no Phoenix...
sad.png

Lost our heat last night, but bators kept temp perfectly even tho they are in the far bedroom that is always the coldest anyways, lol...

arg!!

did they not get turned enough?

hugs.gif

Ditto the local FB poultry, farming, homesteading FB sites. I usually post on 4-5 different ones. I've sold about 60 of my ordered chicks this way this month and so far 37 of my own incubated backyard mixes (purebred parents--30 hens, 8 Roos, none separated out yet)

I also post on Craigslist and have people text me. Seems to work well, also.

Thanks for the advice about the iodine. I will put it on the baby's stump.

I cleaned my incubator parts with a toothbrush and water. I will let it dry and then wipe the surfaces down with a bleach solution and let them air dry. My incubator tray and mesh got really dirty this time. I had a LOT of eggs in there and one of them pipped and died and and then got rolled upside down. I think all the fluids in the egg were running down into the tray and it got pretty smelly. I already pulled out the last 4 eggs and cleaned the incubator. Having something that yucky around the house drives me nuts.

Back
Top Bottom