Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

None of my girls are laying yet. I'm starting to get nervous. I really want to join the HAL. Maybe tomorrow I will sit down and have a chat with the hens. 3 are molting, and I guess everyone else is pouting about the short daylight hours. Come on chickens, man up.
wink.png

Those emus are so cool. I would love to rent a couple for a day just to teach my bird dogs how to leave the coop alone.

None of my girls are laying yet. I'm starting to get nervous. I really want to join the HAL. Maybe tomorrow I will sit down and have a chat with the hens. 3 are molting, and I guess everyone else is pouting about the short daylight hours. Come on chickens, man up.
wink.png

Those emus are so cool. I would love to rent a couple for a day just to teach my bird dogs how to leave the coop alone.
hugs.gif

We'll. Start gathering about the 11th whatever is laying should be polish mixed. This should be interesting
My hens are
Partridge Plymouth rock
slwyandotte
heritage rir

My blue laying gal has quit
If I get anything from the bantam pen would be jap bantam x silkie

Possibly picking a couple up from local whole food (fresh not yet refrigerated eggs from local farm unknown

Last edited:
My rooster isn't doing his job, only a few eggs are fertile from about 18 eggs I get daily. Too many hens? I will be moving so I will just follow and oooohhh and aawwww at the pictures.
1f610.png
1f600.png

I may be out of this HAL. DH convinced me we should order our bantam dark cornish chicks for mid-Feb delivery and I will be totally out of brooder space when they get here (esp since he wants to get in on black sex link breeding with me now for the city chicken keeping crowd so we are getting a few other pure birds to make sex-link chicks). And I have 2 more rounds of d'Uccles yet to hatch (Jan 19 and Jan 31) - if those don't all sell in time, we'll be doing makeshift brooders for the new arrivals. Weather isn't really cooperating here right now anyways - frozen eggs do not hatch
somad.gif
and d'Uccles are not the least broody for me, regardless of what the breed descriptions say
barnie.gif

Fertility is down in my breeder pens from the cold. Still there is something that says I must at least set a few eggs.

The turkey eggs I set a week back are still looking clear. The turkey hens were without a tom for a few weeks, but I was hoping. We have replaced the tom. Still the original tom was special and it would have been nice to get some of his offspring.

What breeds do you plan to use for BSL? I use BR hens and a standard bred RIR rooster. I will admit for me the RedSexLinked sold much faster than the BSL ones. But solid white chickens do not have a special place in my heart.

I have a lead on eggs for the HAL, and I can pick them up without shipping!
wee.gif

But I will likely be setting them earlier in the week than the official set day. Hope I can still join along even though I won't be on the same date.

I have a lead on eggs for the HAL, and I can pick them up without shipping!
wee.gif

But I will likely be setting them earlier in the week than the official set day. Hope I can still join along even though I won't be on the same date.

I think I might be setting a day or two early. I have some hens whose eggs tend to take a bit longer to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom