Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

Well, today is the day for those setting duck eggs. Be sure to set as many as your bator will handle.
1f609.png
Unfortunately I personally won't be setting any duck eggs as I had originally planned. I had to have my tonsils removed Monday. They were very enlarged and was causing me to have sleeping problems. I'm still in recovery, so I can't exactly be in "egg setting" mode right now. BUT, I will be setting chicken eggs next Saturday. Can't wait to officially join the BYC HAL community!! Happy hatching to everyone!!
ETA: I forgot to mention that I was having a problem with finding the air cell in one of my eggs yesterday. Also, I can't tell if it seems a bit porous. Maybe someone can help me out.

Last edited:
Well, today is the day for those setting duck eggs. Be sure to set as many as your bator will handle.
1f609.png
Unfortunately I personally won't be setting any duck eggs as I had originally planned. I had to have my tonsils removed Monday. They were very enlarged and was causing me to have sleeping problems. I'm still in recovery, so I can't exactly be in "egg setting" mode right now. BUT, I will be setting chicken eggs next Saturday. Can't wait to officially join the BYC HAL community!! Happy hatching to everyone!!
ETA: I forgot to mention that I was having a problem with finding the air cell in one of my eggs yesterday. Also, I can't tell if it seems a bit porous. Maybe someone can help me out.

Sorry to hear about your tonsils! :( Good luck on Monday, hope you recover quick...
Your egg does look kinda porous, don't know if you want to set it or not... I've had some like that hatch, and some that were a no go. If you set it, just keep am eye on it...

Today's discovery, our eggs will be a mystery until they hatch. Apparently my sweet docile EE boy has started getting romantical with the ladies...so we will wait to see who has crests and who has muffs and tufts...

So I'm hoping to come join the fun for the VDay Hatch-a-long. I'm not actually a fan of the holiday so this'll give me something to look forward to!

We have 4 Breda hens (gorgeous birds) and we put a Sultan Roo in there because we bought them all together from the same seller and only had the 1 coop at the time. We were ASSURED, promised even, that the sultan 'couldn't reach without a ladder.' Well I have 1 chick currently in lockdown proving that false...
lau.gif

So I'm thinking of incubating their forbidden love children for the day of love. I'll know how many next week when I collect!

Having never done one of these hatch-a-longs, and being a newbie in the world of chicken, I'm SO EXCITED to do this!

Well I wasn't sure about doing this HAL. I lost my favorite hen due to pecking injuries last week, I was SO upset! Then the very next day I had another hen lose a piece of her comb due to pecking. We finally found out who the meanie was and put her in the basement brooder--no problems since. Now that things have been calm a few days I have been trying to decide IF I will do this hatch and if so, WHAT to hatch.

I could not make up my mind!

So I found a barnyard mix and they are due here in time to settle and place in time for the official chicken set day for the Vday HAL. My very first hatch & HAL and I am nervous but excited.

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

1f609.png

I hope you are feeling better soon!!

I got my hatching eggs yesterday, so I set them today. I am way on the early side!!! So I understand if you don't count me in the official hatch, but I set 8 bantam cochin eggs. :) I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get these eggs as the breeder has beautiful, beautiful cochins. I'm so excited!!

Let the crazy 21 days of worry and excitement begin!!
wee.gif

Oh Chicken Math, here we go.

I had my eye on this one set of eggs and found out I could have them in time for this hatch....but that would require more incubator space than I have.....so, naturally, I ordered the eggs and a 2nd bator, lol.
celebrate.gif

I did talk to my DH (my Wonderful Awesome DH, lol) before taking the plunge at least!

Perfect timing! I'm in! I have some rhodebar and CCL's coming my way to be set. I just set a dozen in the brinsea on Saturday of a barnyard mix so these in the HAL will share the same incubator space, i'll just have a staggered hatch. FUN!!!!

CLAUDIA

Back
Top Bottom