Valentine's Day 1st Annual Hatch Along

I am not doing well with the waiting...

Marans eggs SUCK
On the Marans eggs all you can really see is the air cell. If you can see that, you will know the eggs are doing well.

My Marans eggs pipped and hatched last out of all the different eggs I had in the incubator. They also didn't necessarily pip at the correct end of the egg. Once they started pipping (from the correct end), they seemed to get out pretty quickly. I had two that pipped in the middle of the eggs and seemed to be malpositioned. I ended up assisting them out of the shell and almost lost one. They all made it though, and of course the ones I assisted were cockerels.

I put more Marans eggs under the broody. They all hatched without any assistance. Again, they were all boys! One of these days I will have a nice Olive egger hen. Currently we have no Marans eggs in the incubator since none of the eggs were fertile this time. Let us know how your Marans eggs turn out.

On the Marans eggs all you can really see is the air cell. If you can see that, you will know the eggs are doing well.

My Marans eggs pipped and hatched last out of all the different eggs I had in the incubator. They also didn't necessarily pip at the correct end of the egg. Once they started pipping (from the correct end), they seemed to get out pretty quickly. I had two that pipped in the middle of the eggs and seemed to be malpositioned. I ended up assisting them out of the shell and almost lost one. They all made it though, and of course the ones I assisted were cockerels.

I put more Marans eggs under the broody. They all hatched without any assistance. Again, they were all boys! One of these days I will have a nice Olive egger hen. Currently we have no Marans eggs in the incubator since none of the eggs were fertile this time. Let us know how your Marans eggs turn out.
I would SOOO love to have marans!

have you seen this? it would have been helpful from the start-not the information (although i did read something i didnt know), but the chart at the end. it is a handy check list because my brand new auto turner went out 4 days ago...well that is when i noticed i went out. if i had been using this chart i might have known sooner.

http://posc.tamu.edu/files/2012/08/EPS-001-Incubating-and-Hatching-Eggs.pdf

On the Marans eggs all you can really see is the air cell.  If you can see that, you will know the eggs are doing well.

My Marans eggs pipped and hatched last out of all the different eggs I had in the incubator.  They also didn't necessarily pip at the correct end of the egg.  Once they started pipping (from the correct end), they seemed to get out pretty quickly.  I had two that pipped in the middle of the eggs and seemed to be malpositioned.  I ended up assisting them out of the shell and almost lost one.  They all made it though, and of course the ones I assisted were cockerels.

I put more Marans eggs under the broody.  They all hatched without any assistance.  Again, they were all boys!  One of these days I will have a nice Olive egger hen.  Currently we have no Marans eggs in the incubator since none of the eggs were fertile this time.  Let us know how your Marans eggs turn out.  

How do you sex the day old BCM chicks?

This morning before it got light out I quickly candled a few of my eggs - mostly the ones I thought had died. Everyone looks good to my surprise! I also weighed a few of them to monitor weight loss. They are all over the board - between 6% and 12%. That happened last time too, so I'm not too concerned about it.

A couple more days of turning and then it is lock down. Other than that I'm not messing with them anymore. At this point I'm a little worried that I will have more chicks than I can deal with! LOL I'm off to the feed store to by extra feed and water containers.

The Marans have such big single combs.... that my guesses last year as to sex, just from comb size, were correct.

The boys just have a much bigger comb, even at hatch, and all along.

Not 100% accurate, but it is a pretty good way to guess.

Sorry i havnt been on for the weekend. Busy busy.

We have a new goat kid, he was born last night and his name is Jackson(a little girl named him)

So now we have 7 goat kids all 3 weeks old or less....and all of them live in the house, joy!! Next year we are definitely timing delivery, some babies in april would be good.

Sorry i havnt been on for the weekend. Busy busy.

We have a new goat kid, he was born last night and his name is Jackson(a little girl named him)

So now we have 7 goat kids all 3 weeks old or less....and all of them live in the house, joy!! Next year we are definitely timing delivery, some babies in april would be good.

I have goat kids that should be born in April. I was thinking of having them born earlier the next time i do kidding but maybe not. Chicks in the basement are enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom